Sign in to follow this  
Slant6

Best Patch for SF2 family for me--Dec. 2009

I have a older rig with an AMD Athlon 4000+ cpu (socket 939) OC @ 2.83ghz, 2GB DDR, audigy 2 value, and a 256MB GeForce 7950 GT video card. State of the art. :grin: Seriously, after some experimenting (and uninstalling/reinstalling SF2 games), I have concluded that the Dec. 2009 patch provides the best balance of graphical quality, gameplay, and smooth framerate. I've found that the June 2010 patches only slow the framerate, and, annoyingly, cause sound pauses when speech kicks in. With the Dec. 2009 patch, these games run better than their first generation ancestors patched to Oct. 2008. I may take all of them off my hard drive, except WOI, simply because it has the Suez add-on. Just wondering if anyone else with similar specs has reached the same conclusion, and whether my experience will be different when (if) I upgrade to a quad-core DX10 system.

S! :salute:

The reason is the later the patch, the more TK has made them multi-core friendly and thus less freindly to older single/dual core PCs (per one of his posts over at ThirdWire).

The SF2 games are running better than ever on my i7 now with the latest versions - almost definitely the multi core changes!