Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Balloon Ramming

After downloading Bletchley's 1916 (1) mod, my brand new pilot was assigned a 'Lone Wolf' scout-around mission - with the option to try destroying a balloon. I have never tried a ballon attack before (rarely shot at anything before, in fact ), and my first mistake was to forget the good advice I copied from these forums a year ago, when I first got OFF.

I steadfastly weaved my way through the enemy AA to arrive in the area of the target. Couldn't spot it anywhere. My wife, glancing at the screen, advised that if it was a balloon it would be at a somewhat lower altitude. Oh yeah?! Watched 'Wings' through once and you know all about it do ya ...

She was absolutely right, of course.

Having descended to a decidedly uncomfortable 2500', or so, I finally spotted it. Weaving cunningly, whilst keeping the target in sight, I then managed to drift down to within machine gun range, which was a nasty shock. Naturally, whilst weaving desperately and clawing frantically for height, I lost sight of the damn balloon.

Having finally got realigned, I went to 'Iron Sights' and, firing a few test rounds to judge the best aiming point, I closed in ... and closed in ... and ... oops, bugger! Although I was sure I was hitting the thing, there had been no visible effect. No surprise - particularly on the first run, I thought - but, of course, I had got too close and now had to desperately try and pull up over the thing.

I may have missed it by a couple of feet but, no matter, because when I was directly above it, balloon and aircraft were abruptly engulfed in flame. I was expecting to have lost my third pilot in four missions when the old BE sailed out of the inferno as if nothing had happened to it.

I hurriedly checked her all over, including the fuel levels, but she looked fine and, indeed, brought her new pilot back safely, completing the first mission where I have knowingly destroyed a target.

Thing is, I still don't know whether it blew up because I shot it, or because the aircraft physically hit it. I realise that many of you have much more experience of these attacks than me - what do you reckon?

My wife, glancing at the screen, advised that if it was a balloon it would be at a somewhat lower altitude. Oh yeah?! Watched 'Wings' through once and you know all about it do ya ...

Hey, you lucky man! I'm still hoping for a wife like that!

Weaving cunningly, whilst keeping the target in sight, I then managed to drift down to within machine gun range, which was a nasty shock.

Naturally, whilst weaving desperately and clawing frantically for height, I lost sight of the damn balloon.

:rofl: Don't you think, I was laughing! It's only the nerves!!! :rofl:

Damn, I remember my first balloon attack like yesterday - it went pretty much the same way! :rofl:

Having finally got realigned, I went to 'Iron Sights' and, firing a few test rounds to judge the best aiming point, I closed in ... and closed in ... and ... oops, bugger!

Although I was sure I was hitting the thing, there had been no visible effect. No surprise - particularly on the first run, I thought - but, of course, I had got too close

and now had to desperately try and pull up over the thing.

I may have missed it by a couple of feet but, no matter, because when I was directly above it, balloon and aircraft were abruptly engulfed in flame. I was expecting

to have lost my third pilot in four missions when the old BE sailed out of the inferno as if nothing had happened to it.

I hurriedly checked her all over, including the fuel levels, but she looked fine and, indeed, brought her new pilot back safely, completing the first mission where

I have knowingly destroyed a target. Thing is, I still don't know whether it blew up because I shot it, or because the aircraft physically hit it. I realise that many of you

have much more experience of these attacks than me - what do you reckon?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It was even different, I'd guess: when you approached the sausage, the ground gunners followed your flight path.

And when you were above the balloon, they blew it up themselves. No joke - they often do that, when there are

aircraft fighting near their balloon.

Gee, Wayfarer, you made my day! :good:

Uncleal, good point about the cable. I didn't even think of it. Lucky I didn't decide to try and go underneath the thing.

Olham, the thing is I really do have some sensible advice printed out about attacking balloons (some of it may even have been from your good self) I just sort of panicked at the thought. I had already skipped a couple of missions like this but I felt I was being feeble to refuse another. And yes, my wife is far more sensible/practical than me!

Suicidal balloon busters, overly eager "friendly" AA gunners - sounds like it would be a Bad Idea to join the Balloon Corps! :grin:

I've rammed quite a few balloons, but it's always killed me immediately unless I'm in a DH5 :grin:

Didn't Willy Coppens actually land on top one balloon he was attacking?

Ah, found this quote online, not sure how attributable it is..

After downing a balloon, Coppens would often perform aerial acrobatic displays above the enemy. On one occasion, the balloon he was attacking shot upward and Coppens actually landed his Hanriot HD.1 on top of it. Switching off his engine to protect the propeller, he waited until his aircraft slid off the top of the balloon, then restarted the engine and watched as the German balloon burst into flames and sank to the ground.
Edited by Lewie

The trick would be to see if you could actually do it in OFF. With the lengths the planes roll out on solid ground I suspect it's not possible.

you can usually pop 'em with a few well directed bursts but more satisfying is to swan around above 'em out of MG range and usually the flak'll kill the balloon for you....then on to better prey!

I've rammed quite a few balloons, but it's always killed me immediately unless I'm in a DH5

They should rename that craft into BH-5. :grin:

Suicidal balloon busters, overly eager "friendly" AA gunners - sounds like it would be a Bad Idea to join the Balloon Corps! :grin:

Well you normally get a parachute, which nearly all Allied pilots didn't get. I could see where it would appeal to someone with an extreme sports addiction.

In truth nobody ever copied Willy Coppens methods, and they gave him 35 balloons, and he lived to tell about it. Somehow the term . ."Death Wish" . . comes to mind Salute.gif

Yes, but it did catch up with him. Had to have his leg amputated after his last mission. Still, what a run.

Well you normally get a parachute, which nearly all Allied pilots didn't get. I could see where it would appeal to someone with an extreme sports addiction.

Yes I'd rather be an observer than a pilot. First sign of trouble and I'd jump for it! Flaming bag of gas above me? No thank you good.gif

Yes I'd rather be an observer than a pilot. First sign of trouble and I'd jump for it! Flaming bag of gas above me? No thank you good.gif

If it involved the ability to do a short bit of sky diving, sort of like base jumping it would probably be a hoot. Not that I'm into that kind of stuff..:dntknw:

Like this...

Yikes!

No, they rather jumped out of the basket very unspectacular.

Legs first, and the rope would pull the chute out of it's bag without you doing anything to that.

Even a half unconcious man could get it done.

I'd be worried about the planes zapping the bag and having it come down on top of you while you're floating down yikes.gif

Hmmm - I don't know about the Entente balloons , that's true.

I just thought, they wouldn't have been less advanced?

The German balloon observer definitely used a ripcord, as you can see here.

Hmmm - I don't know about the Entente balloons , that's true.

I just thought, they wouldn't have been less advanced?

The German balloon observer definitely used a ripcord, as you can see here.

Bloody rotten observers think they're so great just because they get bloody rotten parachutes... *mutters as he climbs into his SE5*

My wife, glancing at the screen, advised that if it was a balloon it would be at a somewhat lower altitude. Oh yeah?! Watched 'Wings' through once and you know all about it do ya ...

Are you a newlywed? They are always right and they will be happy to remind you of it 5 years from now. Congrats on the balloon kill.:good:

UncleAl, I don't know anything about the testing phase for German parachutes.

But I know, that they were introduced in ca. mid-1918.

As far as I know, the pilot was sitting on the packed parachute.

Ernst Udet jumped from his Fokker with a parachute.

PS: here are two pics from Rosebud's great website.

The guy in the tree is a German pilot, who got stuck there, and was captured.

The other is a Heinecke parachute, in Lozenge camo, as used by the Austrians.

Edited by Olham

hehehehe. I love the dog in that first picture. They never change