Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

OT; CPU Cooler Information Overload..

I think the AMD K8's do have that sticky pad, if I recall from my own build. But, I have been known to be worng before... :wink:

Any thoughts on this cooler for my aging AMD 64 X2 3500 processor? Cooling solution for AMD X2

Outstanding performance at a very attractive price-point. You won't do much better than that for affordable air cooling. The reviews are all very positive. It is a bit of a monster and weighs in at 600 grams. Just check the dimensions carefully to make sure nothing on your motherboard will hinder or prevent a clean installation.

On a side note, from what I've read, you must supply your own TIM....which is never a bad idea to begin with.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Thanks for the tips, Parky. :salute:

Just replaced the stock cooler, and on the first run it's running at 37c at idle and has only gone up to 47c under load - which is lower than what it used to be at idle most of the time! So presumably we can call that a successful operation. :good:

I decided to replace the thermal pad on the heatsink with a blob of Arctic Silver 5 (and used the ArctiClean thermal remover and surface purifier.)

Although I always work on the 1 week rule when it comes to messing with PCs it must be said - where I only know if it's worked properly if it hasn't exploded after a week, as my stuff has been known to work on the day of an upgrade, then go tits up the following morning!

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Thanks, Parky. I assume TIM is the thermal grease stuff? I think I have an old tube of Arctic Silver around somewhere...

Although I always work on the 1 week rule when it comes to messing with PCs it must be said - where I only know if it's worked properly if it hasn't exploded after a week, as my stuff has been known to work on the day of an upgrade, then go tits up the following morning!

LOL.......yep, I hear ya'. In this case, it should be all downhill from here. It takes a little while for that that thermal paste to "set" or "cure" properly, at which point your temps should come down a wee bit more.

Sounds to me like a successful operation...

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Thanks, Parky. I assume TIM is the thermal grease stuff? I think I have an old tube of Arctic Silver around somewhere...

Exactly.....:good:

Do the stock AMD II K8 coolers come with the same 'pad' of cooling compound as the earlier K7 series?

The stock AMD K8 cooler for my last two builds came with the 'pad' of cooling compound. The stock cooling compound is actually pretty good, but you can't control it's thickness. If you're running at stock speeds, that's not usually a problem.

BUT...being the fussy builder that I am, I usually clean it off with alcohol and apply a thin layer of Arctic Silver. OR, if I plan to overclock, I throw away the stock cooler and use a much bigger one, my favorite brand being Zalman. Never had one fail yet.

No matter what cooler you use, my experience is that CPUs typically run hot due to improperly applied thermal paste.

Edited by BirdDogICT

The stock AMD K8 cooler for my last two builds came with the 'pad' of cooling compound. The stock cooling compound is actually pretty good, but you can't control it's thickness. If you're running at stock speeds, that's not usually a problem.

BUT...being the fussy builder that I am, I usually clean it off with alcohol and apply a thin layer of Arctic Silver. OR, if I plan to overclock, I throw away the stock cooler and use a much bigger one, my favorite brand being Zalman. Never had one fail yet.

No matter what cooler you use, my experience is that CPUs typically run hot due to improperly applied thermal paste.

OK, thank you. I'm recalling the Duron cooler with the yellow thermal pad, I recall it not working so great as a compound.

I'm looking at an AMD2 250 Regor dual core running in a Gigabyte motherboard, I just need to decide what other peripherals I can get with my budget.

I've been delving more into the world of CPU cooling and I have another question. I have a relatively old MB of the Asus NForce 4 variety. I've noticed that most of today's coolers have 4-pin fan connectors, but my MB seems to be of the 3-pin variety. Can anyone recommend a 3-pin heatsink, fan combo?

I've been delving more into the world of CPU cooling and I have another question. I have a relatively old MB of the Asus NForce 4 variety. I've noticed that most of today's coolers have 4-pin fan connectors, but my MB seems to be of the 3-pin variety. Can anyone recommend a 3-pin heatsink, fan combo?

The fourth pin is for Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), which is a method of using electrical pulses to control fan speed and reduce signal noise or interference. It replaces the need for a rheostat to control fan speed.

Normally a 4 pin fan power cable is plugged into the 4 pin cpu fan header on the motherboard. But. you can use a 3 pin power connector with a 4 pin fan header on the motherboard, the only issue is that there is no fan control, so the fan will always run at full speed.

When using a heatsink fan with a 4 pin power connector with a 3 pin header on the motherboard, the fourth pin with the blue colored wire is not connected.

There has been an update to the original PWM specification developed by Intel back in 2003. The update allows PWM and fan control with a 3 pin connection. In some modern motherboards there may even be a BIOS setting which allows switching back and forth between 3 pin and 4 pin fan control. You'll need to check the specs for your motherboard.

If using a motherboard that supports AMD's "Cool and Quiet" , you'll have to turn this feature off in BIOS.

I have an older Zalman CNPS7000 cooler with a three pin connector that plugs directly into the motherboard or can be used with their manual rheostat. PM me and I could send it to you, including AMD/Intel mounting hardware. It's short and squatty so may not fit some newer CPU socket/memory layouts. What socket do you need to fit?

Edited by BirdDogICT