Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Two successful Sopwith scouts

An Ode to the Pup

The Sopwith Pup is actually giving a fine performance here.

The flying scenes begin at 1 Min 42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lM__0ko6yo&feature=related

Adagio for the Tripehound

Close-ups, followed by some beautiful flying of the Sopwith Triplane.

The flying scenes begin at 4 Min 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdhhrkPa6w&feature=related

Ah, but ain't the Tripes beauties? Looks like a flying Venetian blind but it's absolutely the best machine to fly in OFF, IMHO. Less docile than the Pup but still as forgiving; as agile as the Camel but less vicious.

'Course, in OFF we don't have to contend with the Tripe's maintenance problems 'in the field' but nevertheless she was withdrawn before she was outclassed. I happily spend ALL my OFF time in the RNAS during those few glorious months.

Three cheers for the Sopwith Triplane!

'Course, in OFF we don't have to contend with the Tripe's maintenance problems 'in the field' but nevertheless she was withdrawn before she was outclassed.

She is - beside the S.E.5a - the British fighter in OFF, that I feel safest in.

Her goog speed and climb, combined with her agility, make it possible to get at the tails

of any opponents so close, that the single gun isn't a problem.

After seeing lots of pics and videos, I got the impression that she was an "upper class build" - the wooden

wingstruts and the whole construction look likethey used better materials to make her solid enough, without

loosing the lightness? A craft built like that may of course make more problems at repair.

According to Cecil Lewis, of "all machines, the Triplane remains in my memory as the best . . . Other machines were faster, stronger, had better climb or vision; but none was so friendly as the Tripe. . . It was so well balanced that it would fly hands off on the tail-trimmer, which other aircraft boasted they could do, but didn't. It could do more than this: set the engine at three-quarter throttle and wind the tail well back and the Tripe would loop indefinitely. I once did 21 loops in a row!"

Maintenance in the field was an issue because the oil and fuel tanks were difficult to access without dismantling the wings to a large degree and, probably reflecting the 'upper class' build (I like that phrase), even relatively minor repairs had to be done in the rear, i.e. back of the front line.

To maintain air superiority at the front, one has to be able maintain one's aircraft at the front, hence her realtively short service life.

To maintain air superiority at the front, one has to be able maintain one's aircraft at the front, hence her realtively short service life.

Yes, a short life (although most WW1 aircraft were not produced very long), and not very high production numbers.

The maintenance sure was the reason, as you say - it sounds so logical.

What lucky blighters were those RNAS chaps having something as special as the Tripe!

Cecil Lewis I still need to read. Just now, I am some 30 pages into Arthur Gould Lee's "No Parachute!"

Edited by Olham

Cecil Lewis I still need to read. Just now, I am some 30 pages into Arthur Gould Lee's "No Parachute!"

If you're reading 'No Parachute' for the first time I rather envy you the pleasure. It remains my favourite and I read it at least once a year.

I could hardly imagine any more relaxed ways of introducing "the other side of the trenches", the British pilots, to me.

You really grow with his reports, his little stories about events; and he is not at all the boasting type.

When I read about his first splinter wound after receiving fire from the gunner of a Rumpler, and how he felt

the blood running down his leg into his boot; how he was afraid to loose too much blood - and then it shows

it's only a minor splinter wound; I can feel so well with his descriptions and him as a person - it is a great

pleasure to read.

This evening, I know it will be about his first real scrap. I am very curious!

And I understand that well, that you keep reading it again and again. He makes you feel being there with the boys.

Ah, but ain't the Tripes beauties? Looks like a flying Venetian blind but it's absolutely the best machine to fly in OFF, IMHO. Less docile than the Pup but still as forgiving; as agile as the Camel but less vicious.

'Course, in OFF we don't have to contend with the Tripe's maintenance problems 'in the field' but nevertheless she was withdrawn before she was outclassed. I happily spend ALL my OFF time in the RNAS during those few glorious months.

Three cheers for the Sopwith Triplane!

As do I. I have to admit that I am absolutely besmitten. And you will love the reworked OFF Tripehound, and all of Sandbagger's lovely skins.

Cheers,

shredward

How I wish 'Bob' Little had survived and written an autobiography. 23 Triplane victories and mentioned on report as outflying hugely outnumbering opponents... he must have known the Triplane inside out.

I just looked him up over at The Aerodrome. He was Australian, if I got the flag right?

Was he a "Werner Voss-type" of pilot?

I just looked him up over at The Aerodrome. He was Australian, if I got the flag right?

Was he a "Werner Voss-type" of pilot?

Whoops, should've chimed in with confirmation for you before now Olham, sorry. Yes, you correctly identified an Australian flag - and also seem to be correct in your Werner Voss comparison - given a quick read of his page on wikipedia (just type in "Robert A. Little"). Sounds like he was in the right place at the right time to get some good 'hardware' (Strutters, Pups, Tripes, Camels). I must read more about him (do you know of any good sources, Dej?)

Alas, there's very little on Little ('scuse the pun). Steve Drew (CheckSix on these fora) has been compiling what there is for years hoping to write a biography on a par with Adrian Hellwig's 'Australian Hawk over the Western Front' biography of Roderick Dallas (well worth the read, btw).

Little's family are very private and won't allow access to family files - or so I believe. It's a great shame, because few Australians even know about him, yet he's the highest scoring Aussie ace, ever.

Steve's the best person to ask.

Alas, there's very little on Little ('scuse the pun). Steve Drew (CheckSix on these fora) has been compiling what there is for years hoping to write a biography on a par with Adrian Hellwig's 'Australian Hawk over the Western Front' biography of Roderick Dallas (well worth the read, btw).

Little's family are very private and won't allow access to family files - or so I believe. It's a great shame, because few Australians even know about him, yet he's the highest scoring Aussie ace, ever.

Steve's the best person to ask.

Thanks for you prompt reply, Sir. You may already be aware, but I just came across this book, currently available only as a free PDF download (!?!) - unfortunately sans photos, but with some detail on Little:

http://airpower.airforce.gov.au/Publications/Details/220/Australian-Fighter-Aces-1914–1953.aspx

Thanks for you prompt reply, Sir. You may already be aware, but I just came across this book, currently available only as a free PDF download (!?!) - unfortunately sans photos, but with some detail on Little:

http://airpower.airforce.gov.au/Publications/Details/220/Australian-Fighter-Aces-1914–1953.aspx

Cheers, TaillyHo. Yes, I had seen that and regrettably that's about as comprehesive as it gets. And even though there are a few commemorative bits now he's still obscure. One of my best friends is from Melbourne and he'd never heard of Little before I mentioned him!

Should be hard to complete any picture of Little without the family's help.

I did once search for the German Leutnant Franz Ray, who's photos I had seen in

connection with Jasta 28w. He had been flying with Jasta 1, 28, and 49, and he had

been the Staffelführer of Jasta 49. He had 17 victories.

I searched The Aerodrome and asked people, but no one knows, where Franz Ray

went after the war, what he did, and where he died.

He may not be any high scoring ace, but it feels so strange to me, that a man you can

see in photos of the time, and who's war time data and achievements are collected,

simply seems to have disappeared after the war.