Sign in to follow this  
gordohk

OT- replica Imperial Russian medals

Hoping someone may have some suggestions as to where I may be able to get a replica of St Anne's Cross 3rd class, as I can't afford $4,000+ for an original.

Gordohk, there are what appear to be original military versions and civilian versions being offered right now at an online US Marshals siezed assets auction, closing in four days:

Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class, with Swords

Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class, Civilian

With a current bid of $565 for each, they may still be well out of your price range though, ( I know it's out of mine).

Lou

Gordohk, there are what appear to be original military versions and civilian versions being offered right now at an online US Marshals siezed assets auction, closing in four days:

Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class, with Swords

Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class, Civilian

With a current bid of $565 for each, they may still be well out of your price range though, ( I know it's out of mine).

Lou

Thanks Lou! Have to agree it is a bit steep. Do you know of any sites that produce replicas?

Gordohk, the allcollection online store in Spain has some Russian replica offerings. Here is their Order of St. Anne version:

Replica Order of St. Anne

You might also try contacting the folks in Russia at Morozbadge. Here is the link to their eBay store:

Morozbadge-ruscol

While they don't show the medal you are looking for they may know where to direct you for one.

Good luck Sir.

Lou

The awards of lost empires seem to be incredibly expensive, which is quite understandable. I have a button from a pre-WW1 Russian army officer's tunic, I wonder how many thousands of dollars it's worth? Probably not nearly that much. I got it for free. :grin:

My pleasure Sir, always happy to help when I can. I am curious Gordohk, are you putting together a medal grouping to honour a relative who served for Mother Russia way back when?

My pleasure Sir, always happy to help when I can. I am curious Gordohk, are you putting together a medal grouping to honour a relative who served for Mother Russia way back when?

A medal grouping for a relative yes. Serving Mother Russia, no. My avatar is a pic of a great great uncle who was a Capt in the US Engineers. He didn't see combat, any that I am aware of. But was awarded the Order of St Anne, while part of the American Expeditionary force in Russia, by General Evgeny Miller. He was on the staff of Gen Richardson. His original medals disappeared after he died, supposedly burgled. So, I have begun to acquire some of the medals he was awarded. So far I picked up a US Victory Medal (France bar, need to get a Russia bar), Merite Agricole (chevalier), US Germany Occupation medal. I need to get the Order of St Anne 3rd Class (civil), and then figure out what his other four medals are.

And thank you Sir for you generous help.

Edited by gordohk

A most worthy quest Gordohk, and good for you taking it on. If you need a hand trying to figure out old medals from photos I might be able to lend a hand with that. And a 'Russia' bar for the Victory Medal. Was your great great uncle involved in Operation Archangel? You will likely be buying another VM just to get the bar as it is very rare to find the bars alone.

You're in luck Gordohk. Here is an eBay listing for a "Russia" bar for the VM that was made as a later addition sometime in the 1930's:

Russia Bar for WWI Victory Medal

Very inexpensive as well.

I just got one of these, but it is navy issued. I might just have to make do. The Army Russia bars are scare and don't come cheap.

A most worthy quest Gordohk, and good for you taking it on. If you need a hand trying to figure out old medals from photos I might be able to lend a hand with that. And a 'Russia' bar for the Victory Medal. Was your great great uncle involved in Operation Archangel? You will likely be buying another VM just to get the bar as it is very rare to find the bars alone.

Would appreciate any help. I'll post a pic shortly. My uncle was involved with Archangel. He went over with the 310th Engineers, and then transferred to Richardson's staff.

Ah, there you go. I will see what I can sort out for you Gordohk. And about that Navy bar, I didn't realize it was quite so different from the Army bar. I checked it after your post and can see it is not very close in apperance at all. If I run across an Army version I will be sure and let you know.

Ah, there you go. I will see what I can sort out for you Gordohk. And about that Navy bar, I didn't realize it was quite so different from the Army bar. I checked it after your post and can see it is not very close in apperance at all. If I run across an Army version I will be sure and let you know.

Thanks again. And he was awarded medaille d'honneur argent

Gordohk, do you know what year the photo was taken? That might help to narrow down the field a bit.

Gordohk, do you know what year the photo was taken? That might help to narrow down the field a bit.

no idea. but if i had to hazard a guess, prior to 1935

Gordohk, could you provide more information on your great great uncle, either here or in a PM. I need to know his name, rank, service number, AO's he served in, (apart from North Russia), time in service, etc. The more information the better in order to narrow the search. Also, if you haven't read it, you should look through the following book:

The History of the American Expedition Fighting the Bolsheviki

Published in 1920 by three officers of the 339th Infantry, this volume gives a good overview of that little known theater.

Gordohk, I have sorted out at least one of the medals for you that you didn't already give me information on. Here is where we are at:

John_Guthrie_medals_01.jpg

The next medal over from the Medaille d'Hononeur might well be an American Legion convention or officer's medal. The one on the end in the lower row could be one of dozens of other such awards. You should contact your uncle's old American Legion post and ask them to check their records for what honours they may have presented him. His Legion record might also tell you what conventions he attended and other offices he may have held over the years, which could help you zero in those last two medals. Also, it appears he had his Germany Occupation medal flipped around showing the reverse side.

Lou

Thanks Lou. The 4th from left on the bottom is a real puzzle. I'll have to do some more diggin' around

Gordohk, thanks for the additional links you PM'd. I have corrected the tag on the previous image I posted, and I'll keep working on those other medals.

Lou the St Anne 3rd class went for $907 and the 3rd class with swords was sold for $1530

Well I have attached a pic of medals acquired to date. Have one unknown medal in orignal photo and two more to acquire. Actually, three more the French medal is not silver but bronze

post-31922-0-61257800-1310081098.gif

Gordohk, I've had no luck sorting out that last image for you Sir. Just can't seem to find a good match for it. Too bad you don't have a more detailed picture, but ah well, c'est la vie. Again, a fine project you've undertaken there Sir, and all the best bringing it to completion.