Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

FSX

I've noticed over the last several months that FSX really is a payware designers dream. Because of the lack of new items, payware is nearly a must. The planeset is stagnant and the terrain is barely updated from FS2002. Additonally, the ability to add better and more AI is still based off of FS9 and non-DX10 compatable. I frequent Flightsim.com to browse the latest uploads and nearly all of them are payware or rehashes of FS2004 aircraft/scenery.

Reading some threads on MS's FLIGHT, they better deliver something good. Having to download and install a butt-ton of 3rd party add-ons just to get it to feel and fly just right, isn't going to go over well with the hardcore crowd.

-S

I am with you on that one Storm... I must admi though I have few payware's but my favourite is Air Hauler as it gives a goal and can be made as challenging or not as the case maybe... I look into Flightsim.com and a few others which I have gathered over the years but to me flightsim.com has stopped being the place it used to be where it provided you a wealth of new freeware etc... one site I love to use is PAD as they create to their own schedule etc and mostly some of the more obscure planes.

The scenery though is a pain trying to find a good one worldwide is tough for freeware and you can end up spending hundreds on it where as in FS2004 it seemed as though the Freeware guys where trying to beat each other with what they could do next...

This is good info. I have and really like FS2004 and just have not seen a real reason to go with FSX (assuming it would run on my rig in the first place.)

I have purchased a few addons for FS2004 but the majority of my addons are freeware and are of excellent quality.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what freeware there is. I cannot (& do not) expect everything for free. However, after reading so much about FSX and tweaking it over the last several months, I'm just not happy with it. And having to purchase hundreds in aftermarket stuff to bring it beyond FS9 is just too much to ask. FSX is what FS9 was to FS2002. Just a prettier version. And only in select cities.

Basically we're still running FS98.

Have any of you tried the FTX terrains? They look spectacular. I'd love to see Wichita/McConnell AFB get some love.

-S

Try here for freeware terrain addons, somebody has done all the hard work of indexing them, some are better than others but most are better than stock, search the other pages too.

ooops forgot the link.

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/world.html

Edited by Sundowner

Thanks Ant. That is very useful.

-Jeff