Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

WWMD?

I found a silly but useful way to stay alive longer in the campaigns. When I think of what I would do when confronted with a highly risky situation, I'm more like a Voss. I want to fly on the edge and to me 6 to 1 odds are not dangerous, they are exciting. Obviously one can only live so long this way. It brought Voss down and as good as I am a virtually pilot, I clearly have nowhere near his skill. It's one thing to buzz through the bad guys and give them a taste of Allied (or German) lead before zooming out of range, but it's quite another to try and continually duel them all, especially if they have Aces among them or turn out to be an Elite squadron. I can win battles this way, but I cannot survive the war.

So, if I am flying for the Allies and I find myself in a risky situation, I ask myself "What would Mannock Do?"

If I am flying for the Germans I ask myself "What Would Manfred Do?"

When it comes to killing, my strategy seems to be similar to theirs. Get very close to the enemy airplane and then shoot. Of course they fall down. But both men were also survivalists. Though they showed the enemy little to no quarter, they had set rules for themselves on how, when and where to attack. And more specifically, when to fly away. Granted, both men died in the war, but they also both had relatively long but highly successful careers as well. I want to survive the war, but I also want to help win it too! Mannock and Manfred were both doing their best to win the war.

So when my plane is damaged and I have lost a great deal of manueverability, instead of just fighting on to the death, I look around the sky to see what kind of shape my opponents are in and how much, if any, help I can expect from my wingmen. Then I ask myself "WWMD?" If the enemy are numerous and agile, I fly away. If there is a trio of two seaters and I have become seperated from my flight, I either do not attack or make a single quick pass just to harass them before flying on to try and rejoin my flight.

It may sound silly, but the outside perspective of what Manfred or Mannock would do helps me not to feel like a coward if I feel I should tactically retreat from a fight. Just because the enemies in the skies of OFF:BH&H fight to the death does not mean that I have too. It is a thin line between bravery and being foolhardy. And in the case that I run away when maybe I could have won, I try to remember that a live coward can possibly redeem himself on his next mission. A dead brave man has done all he is ever going to do.

Hellshade

I do the same...only I don't have a name for it... :grin:

Just deleted my original post while editing. :blink:

Anyhow Hellshade, I think it comes down to personality, experience, and many other factors. I like you enjoy the fight. It is boring to me not to engage at least once on a mission. Unless I'm twisting around the sky fighting man-to-man where only the best - or luckiest - will win, then I feel disconnected. If my plane is damaged and I can't control it well enough to fight I will run, if there are more than 3-1 odds I will often run, if I'm out of ammo I will usually run but other than that I will stand and fight.

Others want to see if they can survive the war until armistice so may always fly/fight cautiously, and some fall somewhere in-between. I try and take each situation as it comes as I like to fight, yet feel a deep sense of loss when I lose a pilot. So I guess I try and walk the line between danger and survivability and whatever my fate may be - so be it.

Edited by Shiloh

The best tricks are often the simplest - good one, Hellshade! :good: