Sign in to follow this  

McDonnell Douglas F/A-4J Skyhawk - 3rd Hikotai, Japanese Air Self-Defense Air Force

The merger of McDonnell Aircraft and Douglas Aircraft in 1967 enabled the highly proactive St. Louis sales team to be able to offer "Heinemann's hot-rod" alongside the F-4 Phantom and Japan became their first export customer who ordered 80 Skyhawks alongside the 120 F-4EJ Phantom. To overcome the controversial decision to purchase an 'attack' aircraft (directly contrary to Japan's defence orientated policy) was only partly overcome by the adoption of a new multi-role F/A-4J designation and the assurance that the aircraft would be used as an auxiliary interceptor-fighter and 'anti-invasion' aircraft. Entering service in 1969 the F/A-4J was a popular aircraft in JASDF service and was subject to various upgrade programmes with at least 18 aircraft continuing to serve in the aggressor role.

(I know, I know. Silly boy. I should have removed the refuelling probe)

JASDFA-4J01.jpg

JASDFA-4J02.jpg

JASDFA-4J03.jpg

JASDFA-4J04.jpg

JASDFA-4J05.jpg

Edited by Spinners

This one really rocks!!! Congratulations mate!