Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Kaiserschlacht!"

I like this Al Forbes painting, cause we don't see Erdkampf-Flugzeuge (ground attack aircraft) so often.

He can definitely paint! By the way, what plane is that?

Edited by Hauksbee

Foreground: Albatros J.I

Middle: Halberstadt CL IIs

Background: Looks like perhaps Hannovers with those squared vert stab tops, but too distant for me to see clearly.

The craft in the foreground looks like an Albatros J.1.

The mid-ground could be the Halberstadt Cl.II.

The distant two could be Hannover Cl.II or Cl.IIIa.

Edited by Olham

ne of my favourite artists and, as you say, Olham, a rare topic. Thanks for bringing Al Forbes work to more people... there's a whole load more over at The Aerodrome and Al is very amenable to being approached for HQ prints... should anyone so desire.

Here's another James Dietz I had never noticed before. Are they RNAS flyers?

I know Al personally, we are in the Northern Region of the GAvA together....and I have to say, that painting is even better in the 'flesh'. He had it at the meeting about 2 years ago...his stuff is always great as he says..'' I love to paint the aircraft that usually don't get painted''..Keep posting paintings..I love em :)

What the heck is "the GAvA"???

I like this Al Forbes painting, cause we don't see Erdkampf-Flugzeuge (ground attack aircraft) so often.

I noticed that there is also a painting of Junkers J1s in his gallery at The Aerodrome. It's titled 'Miraculous Mobelwagen'.

(Wasn't sure if you have to get permission to post copies here?)

Guild of Aviation Artists..here is the web site :)..... There are some fantastic aviation paintings...and a lot of wonderful WWI stuff. Either use the gallery section, or the advanced search function. Hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.gava.org.uk/

Edited by 02RAF_Puff

I noticed that there is also a painting of Junkers J1s in his gallery at The Aerodrome. It's titled 'Miraculous Mobelwagen'.

(Wasn't sure if you have to get permission to post copies here?)

Wayfarer, I guess that we'd only make some promotion by posting those pics.

And they are not high-res enough to make prints of them. My purpose is uncommercial;

I just want the art work to be noticed by others.

Thank you for the link, RAFPuff, I'll explore them!

Edited by Olham

Paintings by Dietz are also great, but for some reason I prefer the style of Forbes. I don't know exactly why though. Maybe it's the use of colours.

Another one for my huge collection of WW1 aviation art, if I were a rich man that is. :grin:

How does one translate "Kaiserschlacht"? Is it 'striking a blow for the Kaiser'?

Yep, correct.It can have two meanings actually, but close ones.

It can also mean: Battle for the Emperor.

Edited by Olham

Guild of Aviation Artists..here is the web site :)..... There are some fantastic aviation paintings...and a lot of wonderful WWI stuff. Either use the gallery section, or the advanced search function. Hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.gava.org.uk/

I realise now that I came across this site just before our 'terrible hard drive crash of June 2011'. I'm really pleased to find it again, thanks for posting the link. Like you say, it's a wonderful collection of paintings, and not just for WW1. The subjects cover all sorts of aircraft and situations, some quite unusual.