Sign in to follow this  

Hello Prop heads

Ok...I have all the thirdwire sims (including the newest ones..SF2)...and would like to try and make a WW2 type version, as shown by your lovely skins here etc.

Ive only downloaded stuff for first eagles in the past...new terrains etc....so, could someone just get me started please?...just some English Channel type scenery...and perhaps a Spit and BF109...just to get me up and running please?...once thats done, I'm sure I'll pick it up without bothering you all

Many Thanks

Hello Prop heads

Ok...I have all the thirdwire sims (including the newest ones..SF2)...and would like to try and make a WW2 type version, as shown by your lovely skins here etc.

Ive only downloaded stuff for first eagles in the past...new terrains etc....so, could someone just get me started please?...just some English Channel type scenery...and perhaps a Spit and BF109...just to get me up and running please?...once thats done, I'm sure I'll pick it up without bothering you all

Many Thanks

Wrench would be the guy to best answer this question, But I would consider downloading Wings over Africa at an unmentionable site...

UK, I went and moved this here, as it's more of an SF2-series question.

making seperate installs for the various theatres is a very simple matter

take your game exe of choice say, SF2.exe. Rename to which ever theatre you want. We'll start with standard WW2 Europe (ETO)

so, copy and paste the exe BACK into the SF2 folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2), and it'll call itsef copy of SF2.exe (or words to that effect). Then, rename it ETO.exe. Create a new shortcut wherever you put them (there's even theatre-specific icons avaliable -- check the 1stGen DL section. if not, I have them -as I made most of them!)

Run the exe and let the game build the new ETO mods folder, in the saved games folder. Run the game and do uor setups for controls, and graphics, and etcs.

Then delete ALL modern aircraft (note: if you're merged, with Expansion Pak 1 -don't delete the Spit 9s!! You might want them!)

Delete all the modern ships (leave the cargo ship and tanker), tanks, AAA, SAMs, etc. Leave the USTruck, ZilTrucks and USJeep -- they'll be needed.

Then you can start populating the /Aircraft and /GroundObjects and /Terrains folders with the WW2 era terrains and aircraft and vehicles and whatnots

Be advised -- 99.9% of all WW2 aircraft now available from 3rdParties are NOT fully speced for SF2 usage. Even those with 08 1stGen level flight models. They CAN be used, but expect some 'oddities' now and then.

Any other questions, just ask!

edit: I converted WoA to SF2, and it works fine with very little tweeking of the terrains data ini -which will be needed for ALL 1stGen terrains imported to SF2.

FMs are still a bit 'quirky'.

Of course, you know that SF2 handles decals differently, so you'll need to drop all the aircraft folder INTO the /Objects/Decals folder, and delete EVERYTHING from inside EACH folder, excepting the /D subfolder. This keeps the pathways intact, so no decal ini editing is/will/should be required.

Edited by Wrench

Hello UK_Widowmaker!

(To start... there's that "magneto" switches, more to the right, see? noo, that's flaps switch...)

Check Ndicki's fabulous Spitfires here (these need Expansion Pack 1 for aircraft models...) and Monty's uberawesome Bf-109 series :clapping:

Also as Kevin pointed, Wings Over Africa works quite ok, meaning delivers fun and sweat altogether, I think Skunkworks has now Series 2 update on their forum somewhere

Many thanks Chaps!...lot's to have a look into!