Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Fokker Dr.1 Looping

In most airshows, the Fokker Triplane (and maybe all other aircraft) are often flown rather carefully,

like they were raw eggs; and you rarely ever see, what they might have looked like in combat.

The pilot in this video demonstrates at least a little bit more, and I was asthonished to see, how fast

the Triplane could get in a dive! And watch the take off - it goes up almost vertically!

Edited by Olham

In most airshows, the Fokker Triplane (and maybe all other aircraft) are often flown rather carefully,

like they were raw eggs; and you rarely ever see, what they might have looked like in combat.

The pilot in this video demonstrates at least a little bit more, and I was asthonished to see, how fast

the Triplane could get in a dive! And watch the take off - it goes up almost vertically!

That's an impressive video Olham.

It's always interesting to me how quickly these biplanes get away from the ground. I've read a couple of books from the '70s which labour the 'kites that could barely lift themselves off the ground' angle, rather. To me most of them seem only too happy to take off, usually after a much shorter run than I give my BE in OFF! (I know it could be a different story when loaded up for an operation.)

Something else that interested me was how, at one point, it maneouvered in the turn to stay neatly positioned behind the other aircraft. I haven't flown any fighters in OFF, but in other sims overshooting the target has always been one of my problems.

When I fly in formation, I often fly higher than the others - sort of high cover.

When I rejoin them then, I come down with much more speed/energy.

When I tend to overshoot, I not only reduce throttle but also pull the stick back.

That way you can reduce speed. Of course you climb a little again, but not so

much, due to the reduced throttle.

Yes, that is the trick of course: To maintain as much of your energy as you possibly can while attempting to get that firing solution on your target. I will often pull up and away from a lower enemy after a diving attack while I am still well above him, as it is much easier to drop back down again and repeat the attack when you still have the alt AND the energy. A dogfight honestly is a very subtle and delicate dance of death, and the ham-fisted pilot will nearly always die in such a dance.

Great video BTW Olham. Thanks for sharing.