Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Fishing can be dangerous! (For Widowmaker)

It's getting more dangerous here in the states too, what with the invasion of the Asian Silver Carp in our inland rivers.

Bloody Yanks!.....they've got so many goddamn fish...they chuck themselves at you!!

Bloody Yanks!.....they've got so many goddamn fish...they chuck themselves at you!!

Yeah, but they aren't from around here; they're stowaways, like Asian Carp and Zebra Mussels, and snakeheads! We really do need to get illegal immigration under control.........

Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Your shoddy products laced with lead and PCB,

Your invasive species; mussels, carp and more,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the gilded door!

(it used to be a golden door but with the price of gold these days…well, you understand)

It's getting more dangerous here in the states too, what with the invasion of the Asian Silver Carp in our inland rivers.

Now that's my kind of fishing :yikes:

Now that's my kind of fishing :yikes:

It's no laughing matter. In rivers like that, there are NO other fish left and recreational boating is pretty much over with. No waterskiing, no jetskiing, at risk of death. Several folks have been killed trying by getting a big carp upside the head. Plus of course fishing is pointless. Nothing to fish for and no need of tackle with these damn carp. The really scary part is that the damn things are within a couple miles of getting into the Great Lakes via canals and there's a big effort being mounted to keep them out, but it probably won't work. Once they get there, they're expected to wipe out the native fisheries as they did in the rivers.

Over here, few want to eat carp so they don't even have much human predation. There are some locally organized carp roundups but those only happen periodically on a small, scattered scale. The main use of the things is to be ground up as fish meal but there's no money in it because the supply is so abundant, so nobody does it for a living. And nobody wants to just throw them on the bank due to the stench that would cause. Thus, they've pretty much taken over with no challengers.

What I find strange is that while they started in Arkansas, they went north into colder water. We don't have them (thank the Dark Gods) down here on the bayou. I guess we have alligators and gars to thank for that.

Yes..these things are only related to the Common Carp..and they have indeed caused utter devastation wherever they turned up...though Nature has some funny ways!...I bet they the reason is as you say BH...no natural predators.

This is why catch and release is so important for Bass, Northern Pike, Yellow Perch etc.....

It's no laughing matter. In rivers like that, there are NO other fish left and recreational boating is pretty much over with. No waterskiing, no jetskiing, at risk of death. Several folks have been killed trying by getting a big carp upside the head. Plus of course fishing is pointless. Nothing to fish for and no need of tackle with these damn carp. The really scary part is that the damn things are within a couple miles of getting into the Great Lakes via canals and there's a big effort being mounted to keep them out, but it probably won't work. Once they get there, they're expected to wipe out the native fisheries as they did in the rivers.

Over here, few want to eat carp so they don't even have much human predation. There are some locally organized carp roundups but those only happen periodically on a small, scattered scale. The main use of the things is to be ground up as fish meal but there's no money in it because the supply is so abundant, so nobody does it for a living. And nobody wants to just throw them on the bank due to the stench that would cause. Thus, they've pretty much taken over with no challengers.

What I find strange is that while they started in Arkansas, they went north into colder water. We don't have them (thank the Dark Gods) down here on the bayou. I guess we have alligators and gars to thank for that.

I'm well aware of the seriouness of the matter - being an avid naturalist and environmentalist I follow such events - but if we can't make light occassionally of scary happenings then the planet will be a sadder place to be and we'll all give up with the hoplessness of it. Just my 2 pence worth - I did not mean to offend..

I'm well aware of the seriouness of the matter - being an avid naturalist and environmentalist I follow such events - but if we can't make light occassionally of scary happenings then the planet will be a sadder place to be and we'll all give up with the hoplessness of it. Just my 2 pence worth - I did not mean to offend..

Oh, I agree with you. There is some humor in this whole thing. But it seems to me a concerted effort could exterminate the things. After all, it worked on passenger pidgeons and buffalo.