Sign in to follow this  
Heck

VF-172 F2H2 Banshee colors

Researching VF-172s only Korean war deployment aboard CVA-9, USS Essex, I've found some confusing information and was wondering if anyone had accurate information on the color of the fin tips and nose caps of this squadron during their Korean War deployment. Two black and white photos captioned as aboard the Essex during VF-172s deployment seem to show them using white fin tips and a small white nose cap, which would seem to conform to the Department of the Navy order of battle for the Korean War which shows them as the second squadron of the air group. But I also found this color photo, also captioned as aboard CVA-9 during the Korean War by some sites, which shows them with Blue tips and nose caps:

http://3.bp.blogspot...2H-2+Lineup.jpg

Admittedly, I don't know enough about this stuff. Does anyone know which is actually correct for this deployment:

Essex (CV 9) with CVG-5 (26 Jun 1951-25 Mar 1952)

Squadron Aircraft Tail Code

VF-51 F9F-2 S

VF-172 F2H-2 R

VF-53 F4U-4/B S

VF-54 AD-2/4/L/Q S

VC-3 Det B F4U-5NL NP

VC-11 Det B AD-4W ND

VC-35 Det B AD-4NL NR

VC-61 Det B F9F-2P PP

HU-1 Det HO3S-1 UP

Thanks, Heck

Edited by Heck

what are the Modex numbers? The series (100,200,300,etc) dictates what color is used. I should know ... I've done around 20 korean-era skins for Navy birds for KAW

what are the Modex numbers? The series (100,200,300,etc) dictates what color is used. I should know ... I've done around 20 korean-era skins for Navy birds for KAW

That's what I don't understand, Wrench. In the color photograph at the link above, the modex numbers are 200 series, which should be second squadron of the air group, correct? But the tail fin and nose cap are blue, which should be third squadron, right? I thought with 200 series modex, the fin tip and nose cap paint should be white.

Ps. Okay. I re-examined one of the black and white photos that I found:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h97000/h97270.jpg

When I blow this photo up in windows as large as I can make it, I can clearly see a low level contrast line between the paint on the fin tip and the paint on the rest of the fin. It's definitely there. Because the contrast is so low compared to the contrast between the insignia white of the modex and tail code letter, I think the color photo is from this cruise of the Essex.

Edited by Heck

yes they should. also, notice the "R" CVW (CVG-17) code .. and Essex was S (CVG-5). Maybe a squadron 'chopped' to Essex, without proper squadron color, from another ship?

red - 100

white -200

blue - 300

yellow- 400

green - 500

can't remember the 600 (purple?), very rare in any case.

yes they should. also, notice the "R" CVW (CVG-17) code .. and Essex was S (CVG-5). Maybe a squadron 'chopped' to Essex, without proper squadron color, from another ship?

red - 100

white -200

blue - 300

yellow- 400

green - 500

can't remember the 600 (purple?), very rare in any case.

I think you're exactly right, Wrench. The tail code gives it away. It has to be a replanted squadron, assigned for this cruise. Too cool. 600 purple! Wow! I never even knew there were six hundred series numbers. good.gif

here's an Orbat for USN/USMC units in korea - by ship and year. this is what we're (ok, should be) using for KAW.

It definately show R for the code on VF172 Banjos on the Essex

Edited by Wrench

here's an Orbat for USN/USMC units in korea - by ship and year. this is what we're (ok, should be) using for KAW.

It definately show R for the code on VF172 Banjos on the Essex

Where is that file from? Is there a ground forces equivalent to it?

from the USNavy .. after hours of searching. ground units I couldn't tell ya