Sign in to follow this  
hurc

Nellis AFB for Range /SoCal Terrains WIP

Got it done to my satisfaction. It's a stand alone new terrain called Nellis Range and does not replace the existing Range. It really is way too close to the bomb range for the use of Aggressor A/C as they can barely get airborne before the F-15s lock them up. I will just have Range drones as the enemy upon release.

So I have another terrain now in the works for Nellis as well. Scal terrain will be the basis for a new terrain called Red Flag. It will include Nellis, Fallon, Yuma and multiple range targets in the Tonopah Test Range Area. Nations will be "Everybody" vs Range and Aggressor. I'm having issues flattening the terrain for airfield/target placement at the moment. Did I mention the Thirdwire TE sucks, LOL

Edited by hurc

Did I mention the Thirdwire TE sucks

:rofl::lol:

yes, it does.

historical note: THAT was what the original SCal terrain was built for, by Dave around 2004.

little trick for flattening...

create a new SCal_cities.lst, list ONLY the items needing to be flattened, and then use that for the HFD editing. Sometimes, you can get away with only 1 item listed (as I just did for adding Al Asad to OpDarius). To keep it seperated from the original, I usually name min with my initials. IE: kj_SCal_Cities.lst

example (from Central AMerica)

[City001]

Name=Tegucigaia

TextureType=5

Randomness=0

PositionX=226.000000

PositionY=621.000000

Width=5.000000

Height=5.000000

HasAirfield=TRUE

[City002]

Name=Toncontin Airport

TextureType=3

Randomness=0

PositionX=222.000000

PositionY=620.000000

Width=5.000000

Height=5.000000

HasAirfield=TRUE

(these 2 just happen to be next to each other)

sometime, for the usual unknown reasons with the finikey POS TE, you need 2 'airfields' listed. One is just 'there', and always stays the same, #2 is the working one, to be flattened.

if that's not too clear, shout out

edit: for tile placement, expeically for airfield tiles and all the little desert/mountain, desert/farm, etc, don't forget my 'cheat' of painting the edges of the transition tiles in the TE's main folder -- REALLLY helps in alignments!

Edited by Wrench

:rofl::lol:

yes, it does.

historical note: THAT was what the original SCal terrain was built for, by Dave around 2004.

little trick for flattening...

create a new SCal_cities.lst, list ONLY the items needing to be flattened, and then use that for the HFD editing. Sometimes, you can get away with only 1 item listed (as I just did for adding Al Asad to OpDarius). To keep it seperated from the original, I usually name min with my initials. IE: kj_SCal_Cities.lst

example (from Central AMerica)

[City001]

Name=Tegucigaia

TextureType=5

Randomness=0

PositionX=226.000000

PositionY=621.000000

Width=5.000000

Height=5.000000

HasAirfield=TRUE

[City002]

Name=Toncontin Airport

TextureType=3

Randomness=0

PositionX=222.000000

PositionY=620.000000

Width=5.000000

Height=5.000000

HasAirfield=TRUE

(these 2 just happen to be next to each other)

sometime, for the usual unknown reasons with the finikey POS TE, you need 2 'airfields' listed. One is just 'there', and always stays the same, #2 is the working one, to be flattened.

if that's not too clear, shout out

edit: for tile placement, expeically for airfield tiles and all the little desert/mountain, desert/farm, etc, don't forget my 'cheat' of painting the edges of the transition tiles in the TE's main folder -- REALLLY helps in alignments!

Thank You for all the advice Wrench. I am going to try and use the new TFD viewer/editor just released by gerwin (thank you again gerwin!) and see how things look, then use the 3rd Wire TE as needed. Wish me luck! LOL