Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Wings over Wairarapa" - The Beauty of the Hawker Hurricane

"Wings over Wairarapa" Airshow

Watch that beautiful Hawker Hurrikane at ca. 3.20 min. She flies a sweet double with the Spitfire.

The Nazis musta thought the world was their oyster in 1939-40

That is a part I was also quite impressed by, when I first saw the movie.

The "Blitzkrieg-Messerschmidts" were quite powerful in that bit, no question.

I did also like the coolness of the British pilots.

Let's hope, that they didn't burn any real Hurricanes for that scene!

Yeah, look how low the leading Spanish pilot comes in, any lower and he'd have departed trailing some wire and fencepoles behind him - a real Hot Shot, that guy.

The Nazis musta thought the world was their oyster in 1939-40

It was, until they shot the poor bloody oyster. I always liked the Hurricaine when I flew CFS1 European Theater. What it lacked in speed, you got back in tighter turning radius.

It was, until they shot the poor bloody oyster. I always liked the Hurricaine when I flew CFS1 European Theater. What it lacked in speed, you got back in tighter turning radius.

The best WW2 sim of it's era!...

The best WW2 sim of it's era!...

Naw, that was European Air War. CFS(1) had some nice missions and add-ons (I liked the Cold War set) but the exploding planes were a bit Bugs Bunny, and the way the planes - rendered larger than life - seemed to move, I always found odd. In EAW you could do the BoB AND Defence of the Reich with skies full of bombers. OK other aspects were limited (eg compared to Jane's WW2F) but EAW was the RB3d of the Second Big One's skies. I mean, name me a sim which had creaking bunks and your mates coughing in your Nissen Hut while you changed the tune on the radio set on the table, looked at your logbook or medals? A WW2 version of OFF would come close but nothing else has, sadly. The CFS3 ETO expansion has a fantastic planeset and much better graphics but basically the same old CFS3 campaign engine, ok if you want to do mud-moving.

I had both, and both had their strengths.

I loved to fly out over the Channel with my Spitfire, to intercept incoming Stukas.

I don't know if it was Folkestone?

Anyway - it was fun to shredder the Stukas low above the surface of the water!

In European Air War, there were great air events high over London, which were just big!