Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Dicta Boelcke" on YouTube

Thanks for posting Olham! This is very valuable and as a relatively new flier, I need to remind myself of these things.

As far as OFF is concerned, I don't necessarily agree with 3) Fire only at close range. A good deal of my kills are made possible by firing at distance and weakening the enemy craft to the point that they lose maneuverability, and then move in for the kill when they can only fly more-or-less straight-and-level. Recently I fought with my D.VII against Spad XIII craft and I couldn't keep up with their speed to save my life. Only by firing at distance at first could I then weaken, and then set them up for the kill.

I know what you mean, Shiloh - I am a long-range sharp shooter in OFF too, but I guess in RL it was

much harder to hit vital parts of an aircraft, that would make many evasive moves.

Maybe we should both set "forward guns" to hard - that would be more realistic.

Thanks for posting Olham! This is very valuable and as a relatively new flier, I need to remind myself of these things.

As far as OFF is concerned, I don't necessarily agree with 3) Fire only at close range. A good deal of my kills are made possible by firing at distance and weakening the enemy craft to the point that they lose maneuverability, and then move in for the kill when they can only fly more-or-less straight-and-level. Recently I fought with my D.VII against Spad XIII craft and I couldn't keep up with their speed to save my life. Only by firing at distance at first could I then weaken, and then set them up for the kill.

that's exactly what HPW's DM and my various tracer/notracer and effect mods equalize. with using those mods you will have to get close as it was in real.

the effectfile mod for instance takes away those smokepuffing, dusty effects when far away. the reason why it's easier in stock p3 to hit from the distance is because you know if you hit him or not, and because of this you automatically adjust. that's like aiming with a laserpointer. no problem. with the mod you won't know if you hit him or not, until beeing close. and if you are far away shooting without knowing if you hit him, then you don't know if you have to adjust, if you are hitting him or if you are just wasting your ammo.

HPW's DM equalizes the "wounded animal" syndrome where you shoot him slower until finishing off. with his DM they fly almost as agile as before until there breaks something up.

that DM, together with the effectsmod, together with the different tracer-versions (and additionally having FF joystick if you have one, which makes shooting accurately also tougher) makes long distance and deflectionshooting much more harder. then you will have to get close :grin:

Good points there, Creaghorn.

I used HPW's DM since quite some time and have installed the updated version today.

But I had forgotten to set forward guns from "normal" to "hard". Will do now.

PS: Creaghorn, I just found the settings for "forward guns" allow:

accurate, normal, less accurate - now what is harder?

Less accurate may "spray" the rounds more, which increases the chance to hit with some,

while "accurate" concentrates them well, WHEN you hit.

Any suggestion?

I recommend the setting of "less accurate," Olham.

With accurate, it's too easy to "saw" the wings off another airplane, IMO.

However, this should be less of a problem with DM 1.25, so try it out using either normal or less accurate settings.

Okay, thank you, Herr Prop-Wasche!