Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

The equivalent of poking ones self in the eye...

@ Zur, that looks good to me, doesnt matter how the mesh looks when it works ;) So all is fine. How do you guys combine objects? I use the Boolean method so far.

Zur,

I found that boolean just didn't work real well with the gun ports on the A-F Sabres, so I did something similar. I found I got much better results that way.

Normally, what I do is for stuff like that is separate them out into different Elements of the same mesh. Gets rid of a lot of shadowing issues while eliminating 'gaps'.

FC

Zur,

I found that boolean just didn't work real well with the gun ports on the A-F Sabres, so I did something similar. I found I got much better results that way.

Normally, what I do is for stuff like that is separate them out into different Elements of the same mesh. Gets rid of a lot of shadowing issues while eliminating 'gaps'.

FC

Hey FC,

What you see above is close to your example. The convex "ports" are separate elements. It's the initial cuts that were kicking my proverbial arse. :grin: When I did the original Sabres, their ports were part of the nose mesh... I got away with that because the mesh where the ports were was essentially planar... With the Hawg, this same area (Because I'm using a much higher poly count) is convex both horizontally and vertically and wouldn't you know it... the ports were positioned literally smack-dab in the middle of it.

Looking at the above example I'm sure some of you look at it and go "you could snap at least a dozen of those verts and clean that right up... truth is, I had to keep those few odd, poly-quads in place to hold the smoothing because snapping the verts caused stretching / pinching which obviously created all kinds of ugly shadows... :blink:

Right now I'm fighting a similar beast at the air-brake cutout because it's "exactly" where the fuselage transitions / lofts from a triangle'ish shape into a cylindrical shape heading to the exhaust port. :this:

What sad times we live in when roughian polygons are allowed to intimidate smoothing groups...

no, this is just an experiment in 3d modeling