MikeDixonUK

OT: War or gaming fun?

He was beaten by the French?! Good god man!

Indeed!...he went mental.... I had to disown the Child!...obviously not fruit of my loins after all!...Losing to the French indeed!...PAH!

I believe the more brutal/miserable/deprived ones normal daily life is the less likely one is to suffer from PTSD. Ones environment creates a psychological culture that dictates ones reactions and responses to stimuli.

YAAHHOOOOO!!!! - I'M IMMUNE! :yes:

Err, why does this little emoticon just nod his head, when the one I picked in the list is the one saying "Get in there!!!" - Insuborndinate little SOB.

Edited by Flyby PC

Oh, I don't agree with that at all Siggi. I want to hunt down and execute every crooked, low-life, smarmy-faced politician, banker, and lawyer I can find, in the public squares at high noon, but I believe that is a normal, healthy attitude. Our environment creating a psychological culture that dictates our reactions and responses to stimuli? BAH! Poppycock! Kill 'em all I say ... first against the wall when the revolution comes, each and every one of 'em ... bring back the guillotine ... perfectly normal, sound, and rational ideas. Reaction to stimuli ... pfffff.

Mankind will never be free until the last politician is strangled with the entrails of the last lawyer! :clapping::drinks:

I paraphrased this from the fin de siècle anarchists and nihilists. The original version was the last king being strangled with the entrails of the last priest. I just substituded the contemporary words for the same people. Being a modernday anarchist, I completely echo the sentiment.

But while I'm glad to see a kindred spirit, I think this is getting off topic, perhaps because of a misunderstanding of what PTSD really is. There's a huge difference between the perfectly normal desire to kill people who, by any rational analysis, heartily deserve it as much as rabid dogs, and PTSD. PTSD is the irrational, knee-jerk tendency to treat every disagreement, no matter how trivial, literally as a matter of personal survival, and reacting accordingly. Or so my shrinks tell me. I've been seeing shrinks periodically for the last 20 years and they've been saying that all along, so I figure that's the correct definition.

See, when you're in combat, EVERY decision you make, no matter how trivial, really is a matter of life and death. I'm talking all the way down to how often you change your socks. So naturally, the longer you survive, the more confidence you get in doing things your way, and the more you regard any suggestion to change as a deliberate attempt by the other person to kill you. The longer you're in such an environment, the stronger this habit of mind becomes, so the harder it is to come back to civilization, where NOTHING AT ALL is a matter of life and death, unless you're a fireman or some such danger-courting thing, and even then it's only the odd decision once in a while.

IOW, PTSD is primarily a problem in dealing with other people in non-stressful situations. People with uncontrolled PTSD tend to fly off the handle over stupid, minor, BS issues. People with controlled PTSD have the urge, which gradually goes away over time if they work on it, but know what the problem is and rein themselves in before beating a coworker to death over leaving the sink full of dirty coffee mugs pr whatever. I'm in the latter phase, but I'm a fireman so keep getting booster shots of stress every few days. Thus, every couple of years, when I notice myself starting to bite folks' heads off for no good reason, I go see the shrinks again for a reinforcing lesson on PTSD.

Bottom line is, PTSD comes from focusing totally on survival, to the point of not being able to distinguish survival from nonsurvival situations. As long as you can tell the difference, you either don't have PTSD or it's controlled.

Mankind will never be free until the last politician is strangled with the entrails of the last lawyer! :clapping::drinks:

Superb!..thats gone straight on my FB page :rofl: