Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

FE2 locks up accessing Loadout screen...

I rarely bother accessing the loadout screen as I mostly fly scouts and when given mud-moving missions or flying 2-seaters I'm happy to accept the default loadout provided. However it would be nice to be able to select loadouts on occasion, or markings as well...but I can't. I've discovered that if I try to access the loadout screen, FE2 locks up hard, only way out is Ctrl+Alt+Del then close via Task Manager.

This seems connected to mods; I had a clean 2nd FE2 install (copied the .exe then renamed, then ran so it created a second mods folder) and it didn't have this problem till I started installing extra planes. It might be just one plane that's causing the problem as it hit my second install after I installed a handful of planes. I didn't experiment to try to isolate an 'offender', as I don't really miss the Loadout feature much, but if there's an easy fix, that doesn't involve sacrificing any planes, I'd be glad to hear of it!

Edited by 33LIMA

Yes

If you have narrowed it down to a Plane then you need to narrow it down to the specific plane that's causing the issue - just cut and paste each one out until its narrowed down and doesnt crash.

Then someone can see whats wrong with that plane - it might just have statements missing from it because it was originally done for FE1 etc etc

I'm starting to have memory problems with my install of First Eagles. I created a folder named "Hide" inside my airplanes folder. I can drag plane folders into that if I don't want to use them (the game just doesn't "see" them.) It's faster than uninstalling and reinstalling the planes. You might try that, one plane at a time, until you find the offending plane.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have since installed over 150 planes in my second FE2 install and the Loadout screen is fine; so it seems to be one of the other 40 or so planes, that could be the culprit (I have just over 190!!)...or maybe it's some other mod causing the problem, that the main install has but the second one doesn't, perhaps something completely different and not a plane at all!

I like Stephen's idea of a 'virtual hangar' or boneyard for rarely-used planes. When Ojcar's Armchair Aces 1918 is released, I will probably retain just the planes needed for the whole Armchair Aces series (c.80%?) in my main FE install, and either put the rest into the virtual hangar, or use the second install for Caporetto or other theatres with only the necessary planes installed for that.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have since installed over 150 planes in my second FE2 install and the Loadout screen is fine; so it seems to be one of the other 40 or so planes, that could be the culprit (I have just over 190!!)...or maybe it's some other mod causing the problem, that the main install has but the second one doesn't, perhaps something completely different and not a plane at all!

I like Stephen's idea of a 'virtual hangar' or boneyard for rarely-used planes. When Ojcar's Armchair Aces 1918 is released, I will probably retain just the planes needed for the whole Armchair Aces series (c.80%?) in my main FE install, and either put the rest into the virtual hangar, or use the second install for Caporetto or other theatres with only the necessary planes installed for that.