Olham

Landing Bistol Scout - Suez 1916

For RAF_Louvert: just found this fine photo at FLICKR - a landing Bristol Scout.

The note said: Suez 1916. Enjoy!

Does anyone fly the "Scout" in OFF ?

This aircraft has been referred to as a Might have Been,but never heard why? Engine development ? Design Flaws?

The question that I have about this particular aircraft, is that a machinegun in front of the pilot ??? And if it is, that mean it's synchronized, unlike the Bristol Scout in OFF.

I've flown it in campaign a couple of times. I found it a delightful machine, easy to fly and without much in the way of vices, but seemingly underpowered and of course the obliquely mounted machine gun takes some getting used to. Up against a Eindecker it's a frustrating engagement because they won't allow themselves to be stalked and you have to wait until they've finished ducking and diving and the AI has become bored before you can line one up. Main thing against a campaign in the Bristol Scout though is that there ain't much happening. I think Archie did for me both times around as I was day dreaming along effectively sight-seeing!

Bristol Scouts were fitted with a variety of gun positions, rifles, a single or double Lewis on the top plane for example as well as the oblique (either side), but I don't know how much success it enjoyed aside from Hawker's VC-winning three two-seaters. There was (I read) an RNAS configuration firing through (literally!) an unsynchronised airscrew... with imagined lack of success.

It did eventually feature a synchronised gun too, but by then it was totally outclassed which is why it found its way to Suez maybe... and it had a long and happy retirement (relatively speaking) as a trainer.

One could have some very interesting missions in a Scout but the mission types in OFF would have to be quite bizarre to accommodate them!

Edited by Dej