Gr.Viper

Spec Ops: The Line

That game is a frigging masterpiece. It's not a combatsim, the gameplay is the one of a generic third-person shooter. But the writing...

See, they took the best bits of Apocalypse Now and some pointers from The Heart of Darkness and mixed it up with a bit of interactivity. You don't know what's going on, and what you're really fighting for, but you have to make choices affecting lives, because the voice of an old bastard calls you on the radio.

The choice of setting is brilliant: Dubai ravaged by sandstorms. Luxurious hotels lined with refugee shelters, water and bullets more valuable than abundant jewelry, a civil war in full swing, and this madness got a DJ.

Oh, and the game really mocks modern "realistic" FPS with their ratings Teen and E for everyone - people don't die in clean funny ways here.

There's a demo on Steam, but it's not much in story sense, which is a shame.

The soundtrack is not too shabby either

http://www.2kgames.com/specopstheline/musiccredits/

Edited by Gr.Viper

hmmm...more of the same old, same old I reckon :(

hmmm...more of the same old, same old I reckon :(

Not really. It starts off in the vein of CoD modern warfare shooters, but then dumps flashy heroics and in the end gets depressing as heck.

NSFW (and I really mean it). What that gunship shooting gallery sequence can be turned into.

A Modern Day DragonsLair....

I'm not liking Shooters that are scripted, however, I'm interested in their Multiplayer capability. Can it deliver a smooth platform with realistic damage models and all the tools needed to fight modern warfare? I'm sick of BF3 style run and gun gameplay and miss the old America's Army Online V.2. I would like to try out a demo. There seem to be some excellent features.

It's not a combat sim or even BF3-style game, the shooter part if fairly generic and arcade-ey, and the mutiplayer mode follows suite.

The game is primarily about the story, choices or absence of them. A six-hour movie with shooting bits to ease the tension.

A Modern Day DragonsLair....

Nah, Heavy Rain is a modern day Dragon's Lair. Well, not counting BD re-releases of the actual Dragon's Lair.

looks interesting that's for sure... and yes I love depressing grim games. Max Payne, OFP:Resistance :blink:

Stary, it's PTSD - The Game. Shooting becomes the least tense and most relaxing part of it by the end. My heart's still sore :blink: Apparently, I still have it.

Also, SOTL has Jimi Hendrix in the main menu, Deep Purple's Hush in one of the battle scenes, and Nowhere to Run by Martha Reeves in the speakers during another battle. And no anthem-ish Hollywood orchestra howling to pinpoint the drama, on the contrary the music knows when to shut up.

Discounted at Steam at the moment, and for the next ~20hrs.