Yea I am sure the combat arms units , Infantry and Armor and Arty..

Are the ones who take and hold a place..

it does take boots on the ground to win a war..

Even in the 21st century the Grunts are the land holders and takers....

The Fly boys of course play their parts too, but still the Combat arms units are the ones who have to take and hold a area..

Never seen a Apache, hold a city or country yet..

But the Grunts and Armor are always the ones who win the land and hold it..

The Apache attack helos are on our side so it does help..Thank God..

And in speaking of a enemy force, the Armor and Infantry, and Arty are what are always spoken of, as the major threat to deal with..

Not the helos..

The complex nature of war today still requires Grunts and Armor and Arty to win and hold a area..

If you want to see old tanks, you definitely must visit the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp in southern England.

If you're looking for tanks in the U.S., you can hardly do better that a trip to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, in Maryland. I did my Advanced Basic Training there in the early sixties. As you enter the main gate, they had tanks on the center grass strip. Memory dims at this point, but it seemed that there were tanks for nearly a mile. In chronological order. Then there is a terrific Armor Museum, too. Many of the tanks have had sections cut out, so that from one side you see a pristine tank, but from the other you can see how cramped it was inside.

The following is a tank scene I built in Animation Master. The basic tank was modeled after the German A7V and then I cobbled together a big howitizer.

Capturekjgufrseer.JPG

Hauksbee, your tanks look even "dark-side"-isher than the real German tanks!

PS: ...anyone seen "Kelly's Heroes"? With that film I learnt to know Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland.

I liked it how they tricked out the Tiger in a small street (and first accidently fired a pink colour granade!);

or how the "Dsherrman" tank commander "opened" the bank with the remaining Tiger.

Saw it with my dad, and he was laughing bucketsful.

Edited by Olham

Hauksbee, your tanks look even "dark-side"-isher than the real German tanks!

Now that's high praise, indeed!

As to grunts complaining about tanks, I do know of one instance, from a Bill Maldin "Willy and Joe" cartoon:

Here's two more from Willie and Joe...

WILLIE AND JOE.jpg

Yea I am sure the combat arms units , Infantry and Armor and Arty..

Are the ones who take and hold a place..

it does take boots on the ground to win a war..

Provided the boots have artillery ;).

Artillery conquers, infantry occupies.

In both world wars, it was the artillery that did most of the destruction and caused most of the casualties.

Artillery conquers, infantry occupies.

In both world wars, it was the artillery that did most of the destruction and caused most of the casualties.

Yes that is very true, until the modern age, Vietnam war and up until now the Arty units did cause more death and casualties

then any other part of the combat arms units..

And if you ever see a heavy arty bombardment you will know why..

The Armor units and Infantry units all have to hide when the Arty units send their "Love" your way..

And I have to give the cannon cockers credit for this..

I read a book about the Hungarian Revolution in 1956, when there were apparently instances of Russian tanks being knocked out by bottles filled with water because they'd run out of petrol for their molotov cocktails.

Obviously, from inside the tank, you didn't know whether it was petrol, alcohol or water, but the fear of being burned alive in their tank was enough for some crews to panic and pop their lids open, and of course, that was the end of them.

Urban environments really even out the odds of tanks of against infantry. But in open ground, I wouldn't want to be an infantryman facing a tank assault.

Finally found that scene from "Kelly's Heroes" - Donald Sutherland as "Oddball" was just great.

He also had some "paint granades", to shock the enemy "psychologically".

This was surely NOT the right moment to use them...

Edited by Olham