Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Question to the AH-1 Cobra

I'm a little bit confused about the Cobra versions. Especially the Q and the S version of the Army Cobras.

Some folks say, thet the AH-1Q had had the Lycoming T53-L-703 engine.

While others say, that it had the old Lycoming T53-L-13 and the Lycoming T53-L-703 fittet the Army Cobras versions AH-1S, P, E and F.

Now my question to the wisdom of the net community, whats correct? :helpme: :dntknw:

Q had the original L-13, but this proved not powerful enough for the new anti armor role.

AH-1R fitted the T-53-L-703 and a new transmission and saw an increase in performance only two buit as a testbed for the new engine.

the S is the culmination of the improvements both in anti armor missles and engine/performance.

idk as to P, E, and F although i believe the F was just an upgrade to keep them viable in National Guard service. hope this helps and does this mean new Cobras in the offing?

got the info from Osprey combat aircraft #009 btw though abit dated being from '87

Edited by daddyairplanes