UK_Widowmaker

An Idea re:- Italian Campaign

Hi Chaps

I'm just finishing off an Italian Spad Skin for the Project, after seeing Lou's fab one...and thought "Well, Olham and Bullethead have the German Side coming along VERY nicely"...so thought, perhaps we should split into two groups?

I shall have comms with Lou, and BH and Olham can have Comms about the Germans?....this way, it will help prevent two of the same skins being done twice?

(Just a thought)...and of course, if other Skinners want to contribute...they can join whichever 'side' they prefer to work on?

Good idea WM. I've just posted my next completed skin, (Pier Ruggero Piccio's SPAD VII), and have Francesco Baracca's in the works as well.

My Next two will be Ferruccio Ranza

and another one!...lol (wonder why the tail colours are swapped?)....sod that..I'll stick to the 'Norm'

post-22245-0-01093400-1347136972_thumb.jpg

post-22245-0-97638700-1347136981_thumb.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

WM, from my research on the Italian planes, while you will see both styles of roundels, the rudders should always have the green to the front.

Alrighty then, the next kite I am skinning up for the Italian mod is the SPAD VII of Fulco Ruffo di Calabria:

SPAD_VII_Fulco_Ruffo_di_Calabria_001.jpg

Should be fun.

On the subject of divvying up skins to do, splitting on pure Entente (Lou and Widowmaker) / Central Powers (me and Olham) lines might not cut it. For instance, we lack 2 of the 3 main Austrian figthers, the Aviatik D.I and the Phoenix D.I. Stumpy has made non-flyable versions of these but if we want missions where we can fly these planes, then we'll have to substitute some stock OFF planes for them, as I've been doing for the Austrian 2-seaters.

As I understand things, the later Phoenix types were very fast and unbreakable, so perhaps the best substitute is the SPAD XIII. In such case, perhaps somebody could do a Phoenix D.I or D.II skin for it? Likewise, the Aviatik D.I was very maneuverable and climbed quite well but not as fast as the Phoenix. So, do we use a Fokker D.VII or an SE5 (non-Viper) for it? If the latter, we'll need somebody whose done an SE5 skin to do an Aviatik skin for it. OTOH, I could gin out some Berg skins for the D.VII very quickly.

There's also the question of Entente 2-seaters. As I understand things, the Eye-Ties had a bunch of Farman and Caudron pushers, which of course aren't in OFF. However, we do have the Fee. Both me and Lou have made skins for that plane before. But we'd also need somebody who can do Strutters, which I've never touched.

Finally, we definitely need some Italian Nupes, to be both themselves and (flyable) Hanriots. Say use the N.16 as the Hanriot? I've never done a Nupe but they don't look TOO difficult from looking at the OBD skins.

Bullethead, I wonder if it will be possible to have Entente craft flying against Entente craft

in OFF mission builder? Not sure about this.

@Olham

I've never gotten an answer to that question, nor do I even know how to start the MB to find out for myself. However, I'd think it should be possible so you could set up duel scenarios where both guys are flying identical planes and it's just a question of skill. That's been a staple of flightsims since the beginning.

Anyway, as to making additional skins, here's what I've got in mind, in the order I'm planning on doing them, provided nobody objects or has other things they'd rather have me do.

1. Hannover: Mottled camo.

2. DFW: Totally unpainted.

Neither of these will take very long to finish because I've already done most of the work on both of them. When I get these done, IMHO we'll have enough KuK 2-seater skins because these will finish off the set as follows:

• DFW: Substitute for Brandenburg C.I and contemporaries that looked like normal planes.
    • Unpainted: Most common scheme 1916-1917, still abundant 1918
    • Random Hex: Uncommon 1917, rare 1918
    • 2-tone Messy Spray: Most common scheme 1918

[*]Hannover: Substitute for Aviatik C.I, Phoenix C.I, UFFAG C.I, etc, all relatively late-war planes with characteristic KuK slab-sided fuselage and small rudder.

• 2-tone hex-edged: Most common scheme for UFFAG C.I 1918
    • Mottled: Most common scheme for Phoenix and Aviatik 1918

--------------

After this, I'm open to suggestions. If I get none, I'll just do what I think we need based on what other folks have done and are doing. Some ideas I have right now are:

• Late-series Aviatik D.I skins (hex and/or mottled in whole or in part) for the Fokker D.VII. This would be the quickest and easiest thing for me to do because I've got a D.VII template.
  • Italian skins for various types of Nupes (11, 16, 17, 24). The project definitely needs a lot of these and so far I know of nobody doing them. There are plenty to go around. I'd have to make all these from scratch.

The quickest and easiest thing for me to do would be Fokker D.VII skins but we'd have to decide what this plane would be impersonating, such as a late-model Aviatik D.I. Or I could start making Itali

BH and Olham, you can definitely fly any plane for any country. In MB it is just a matter of assigning the plane you want to the flight you want and specifying the country.

To the skins for other plane tyes, I am VERY familiar with the Strutter and all its nasty wrap distortions so I can handle those if needed. I also plan to do some of the Nieups as well and will coordinate with folks here when I get to those.

There is a very nice Hanriot HD.1 in stumpjumper's shed as well, and if memory serves it is fully flyable, with FM and DM, and is only lacking cockpit detail, (but you can bring up the generic guages and go with those for now). I am working on a skin template for that one too.

Sounds good, Lou. I wasn't aware Stumpy's Hanriot was flyable. If it is, we could probably do some more skins for it.

Bullethead, that sounds good - I will only make fighters. But I may add some Italian ones.

I'd like to make a Pup for a Hanriot.

Edit:oh, we have a Hanriot?

Edited by Olham

Oh yea Stump has a nice Hanriot in His shed..

I have a mission set up For her right now for the italian package..

And she flies (wrecks) great!

And you can set up missions with any aircraft facing any aircraft , not a problem..

gentle men all my planes are flyable, some how ever lack even the basic cockpit, left over form my days with the boys of 60 who never wanted to fly anthing that wassnt allied, but i made them anyway usieng the way thatothers have described,, yes you can ly the phonix d and c version, the lohner yes flayable, even my big ugly bobmers are flyable,,, they were allmade to be ai for custom online mission but, s i said i did enable them to be flown with the gagues enabled view,, more to come, i promise in the works are the avatki and the ansaldo,,,,,and possbaly a few other oddbals,,,,

sorry haveing worked 38 out of the 48 hrs my dyslexia realyl come out,, and you allthought those rosetta stone lesson in stumpanese were useless

Edited by stumpjumper

@ Stumpy

Then why, when you uploaded the planes here, did you mark most of them as AI-only? They say so in the file description on the download page. So I was taking your word for it.

bh to be honest the only reason idid so was not only to discourge ppl form trying to flythem and notbeing able to in quick combat, and were designed to be used in a mission builders role for add in enjoyment my intention tho was all along tha if ppl wantded to fly them then i woul dbe able to instruct ppl how to,, when you recive the tester package there is information explaing this a lil more though....

To fire the spirits for our "Little Italy" project, here are two good pics of nose-down aircraft from the Italian front:

an Italian Hanriot (Macchi) HD.1 and an Austrian Lohner L seaplane.

(source: Rosebud's WW1 and Early Aviation Image Archive - http://www.earlyaero...om/archive1.htm )