UK_Widowmaker

OT Cameron and WW1

The release of WOFF can't change the world - but it can make it a so much better place, huh?

Not bad, not bad! I like that!

Edited by Olham

You know, to get a bit more serious about it, I actually think it could - if it could help people realize just how horrific, how wasteful, how awful that war actually is, and the bald courage, the amazing skill, the tremendous suffering and sacrifice that these men had and gave for us. The thing I like about these simulators is that they aren't gratuitous shoot'em up games - if you can't fly, you're dead. You don't have lasers on your plane- you miss way more than you hit, and one hit doesn't (usually) send your enemy spiraling earthward. And you run out of ammo, fuel, even sky! I'm sure you've escaped a furball and found yourself with sweaty palms, rapid pulse, even flopped back in your chair with relief as you gather your wingmen, make sure everyone's there and head for home - or the letdown when someone hasn't made it back. It gets real, real quick!

I hope I get more time this winter, and I hope the dev's do, as well, to devote to this. I don't know if you caught it, but I posted somewhere else about a quick scenario I flew the other night and didn't last very long... every time I jump in the cockpit, I am just amazed at what it takes to stay alive.

Edited by HumanDrone

Just to dwell on the subject, I recently read a document 'ghost' pricing the defence budget for Scotland going it alone. The document was quite blasé about 'who would want to attack Scotland?' and what specific threats would Scoltand actually face etc. but when I think about it, most wars occur from circumstances you couldn't really predict, - or at least predict in time to have a defence policy to cope with it.

There are obvious strategic decisions, nuclear issues obviously, but I mean more strategic ideals, like the UK's desire to reach out and hit hard over long distances, whereas Scotland's defence would be focussed on just that - defending Scotland, inshore and off shore. It's not as straightforward a choice as you might think. The defence budgets can hardly cope with existing UK commitments, and recently a Russian aircraft carrier was close enough to shore off Scotland to be seen dumping bin bags into the sea, and there wasn't one single British Warship within 500 miles nor maritime air patrols either since the Nimrods were scrapped. Don't misunderstand, I have no animosity towards the Russians or anyone else, but not having a single warship within 500 miles just screams of complacency. We're currently building two aircraft carriers but can't afford aircraft to put on them. What kind of defence policy does that sound like to you?

It's easy to take peace for granted, (or not peace perhaps given the wars we're still fighting), but attacks on our homes. Are we really so far away from the next conflict that we can be so complacent, or are we just waiting for the cycle to repeat?

How robust is the peace we currently have? Here in Europe we have Turkey and Syria brewing ill feeling, Turkey and Greece still simmering, the Spanish government is making belligerant gestures toward the Catalans and stirring civil war skeletons... Riots in Greece, riots in Spain, civil unrest over austerity and renewed interest in far right extremism.

I get a bad feeling sometimes the further behind we leave the last war, the closer we are coming to the next. I want to have friends everywhere, because having a friend somewhere/anywhere/everywhere makes it harder to believe a war could sneak up on you, and you also won't have to believe the spin your government puts onto people in other countries having a few problems. (I think that tells you how much I trust the UK media Human Drone).

Strange times... Secure for the most part, but flash points are all around us, and history confirms how quickly they can spiral out of control.

Well, Flyby, that's exactly right. We're all spending ourselves broke on what we dare not let happen. When I look at the situation in Iran, and the constant saber rattling by Ahmadinnerjacket, and we have an ugly situation there. With Iran's ties to terrorist groups, do you think that the rets of the world could stop their nuclear ambitions? The US could certainly bomb them clear back to the Stone Age, but at what price? Nuclear materials on the loose everywhere, and I don't think the Russians would be too happey with us. Yes, it is an ugly world...

Not to mention, most Iranians (AFAIK) actually like the US. It's the mullahs that are the problem. (Thought of this too late to edit...)

Interesting news today...Unemployment is down (but mostly because there are More Self Employed, and people doing Part-Time work). Still...hopeful at least