I bought CoD on DVD form and the thing got installed through Steam. First of all it doesn't let me install its files on the drive i prefer (eg SSD) and second, despite the steam claim of offline gaming option, CoD wont start unless steam starts first and is connected, and third the whole steam system is purely and utterly annoying.

For example I downloaded A-10C from DCS and bought a key from steam, i just used the steam key on the normal typical fully controllable local installation of DCS A-10C and everything is ok.

How can i do the same with CoD ??

Can i donwload a normal typical local installation of CoD from somewhere and just use the key i have from the DVD ?

Thanks

I do not believe so. Have you tried starting Steam in offline mode?

1: No, CoD requires Steam to run. Offline simply translates into "must be online to start the game." DCS A-10 works because A-10 does not require Steam, and the key you receive is a proper A-10 Key sent to them by the developers while CoD is based around Steam. This is because Steam is one of the more effective DRMs that few feel are a hindrance.

2: The latest beta of Steam contains the option to choose where the game is to be installed. Overdue, I know but at least it is there now. Might even gone into the standard version by now.

Thanks guys. I can download the latest Steam beta from the Steam site over the current installation without issues? and then (or first) uninstall CoD and install it again afterwards ? I saw an option in the Steam settings to create more Library folders , and i created one in my desired location, they have maybe a way to migrate the installation to that new "Library" folder?

--------------------

to possibly answer my own question :

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

and waiting in http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/846939615093598387/

Edited by squid

Steam auto-updates. Just let it update itself. Do not install over the top or anything. Steam itself takes little space.

There is no way to "move" a game. However, you can uninstall it and then reinstall it to the drive/location of your choice with the latest Steam version.

If you want to run the game without being online, run Steam and then choose the option to Go Offline. Note you cannot do that if you're offline! Go figure. :grin: Once you do that, Steam will start up and shutdown without a net connection just fine, and you can fly CloD anytime.

It's not that complicated, and trying to do the move shuffle in those links is TONS of work and not guaranteed.

As for CloD on Steam, it uses Steamworks as the DRM. There is no way to play CloD without it, at all.

DCS uses a Starforce derivative called protect, which is why Steam is unneeded. You can have it on or not, immaterial. Arma2 is another game like that. I run it from the folder directly, Steam can be off. Like DCS, Arma2 isn't integrated into Steam. CloD was.

Thanks Yoda :)

Did as you said and also said here http://steamcommunit...39615093598387/

Backup the game, remove the game, reinstall from the backup. Please note that not all games are converted to the new content system yet, disallowing them to be installed on another location.
Edited by squid