This is a simple photo-tutorial for anyone who would like to make decals using GIMP.

After using GIMP to get started I soon tried to 'upgrade' to Photoshop Elements but quickly came back to GIMP because it's just so damn easy! Seriously, it's enabled a ham-fisted amateur like me to have Voodoos in RAF service and Lightnings in USAF service! For anyone with an interest in 'what if' making your own decals opens up a lot of possibilities - lol, it's kept me busy for 10 years. For example, you may be Venezualan but just wish that your government had bought Phantoms or Harriers. No problem! We can put that right!

So, for now, forget about 24-bit, 32-bit and Alpha channels. This will be enough to get you started and you can learn the more advanced stuff later.

Before I start, I should point out that this tutorial is based on GIMP 2.6.11 but I don't think that the recipe is any different for later versions.

As explained, for making decals it really helps to set your default image as a transparency (Photo 2).

Photo_01_zps15a79e51.jpg

Photo_02_zpsc400ea3e.jpg

Photo_03_zpsdafe2497.jpg

Photo_04_zps8e51af5a.jpg

Photo_05_zps6fe013a6.jpg

Photo_06_zpsf1cffead.jpg

Photo_07_zpsbadb5e7b.jpg

Photo_08_zpsa382afea.jpg

Photo_09_zps6cf8cdf2.jpg

Photo_10_zps524d9b53.jpg

Photo_11_zps46b3e909.jpg

Photo_12_zpsa18c35a6.jpg

Photo_13_zps3d340478.jpg

Photo_14_zps697bf6b8.jpg

I do hope you can follow it and sincerely hope that I haven't cut out any important steps due to my familiarity with this amazing free, open-source software.

• Like 4

In Gimp2.8.xx the "Save" option only handle Gimp native formats, in these (newer than 2.6.xx) versions you have to make that step with "Export" option, but the other steps are identical.

Btw, Nice tut spinners!

• Like 1

In Gimp2.8.xx the "Save" option only handle Gimp native formats, in these (newer than 2.6.xx) versions you have to make that step with "Export" option, but the other steps are identical.

Btw, Nice tut spinners!

Yes. I've just installed GIMP 2.8.2 (I think) onto my laptop and got my wife to try to follow it. The final save and export is a bit different and threw her a bit.

I think this'll get moved to the Knowledge Base

nice one Alfie!!

• Like 1