Thanks Lothar. I may play around with unlimited ammo settings and see if it actually counts down rounds as you fire. If it does then I can cease firing when I reach the max, then I can make myself land for a minute or two and go back up before firing again. This will only work however if it counts down and let's me know how many rounds I've fired.

In my experience, unlimited ammo does not count the rounds you've fired; or actually, it does, but it doesn't show you until after you end the mission or crash, then, under the "Stats" tab in native CFS3, it shows you how many rounds were fired, how many "hits" you had, and your percentage of accuracy*. But the text display, while flying with unlimited ammo, just shows dashes (blank lines) where "rounds remaining" is shown.

So obviously the value is in memory somewhere, the question is, can the devs get at it and write it to the screen? (As if they don't have enough to do...)

*(I'm so lousy I'd have to have a C-130 following me around carrying my ammo for me; lead would rain from the sky like a summer thunderstorm when I was dogfighting overhead! The gun barrels would be melted like red-hot spaghetti if you could actually carry & fire the number of rounds I've shot in some fights...)

I'm not absolutely sure but I think the Albatros D.Va with the improved 200 hp engine carries as much as 1100 rounds of ammo in OFF P3. I haven't flown one in ages, so I won't guarantee this information is 100% correct.

In any case, if you don't want to worry about running out of ammo, join the Kaiser's air service. :biggrin:

Yes, the Kaiser isn't stingy with ammo. Even the bombers have a decent amount in the forward gun.

Those early French planes with 194 rounds are a challenge.

It also depends on the Rate of Fire you are using. If you use my Rate of Fire-Mod, the German Spandau Machinegun will have a Rate of Fire of 360 Rounds from 1915 to March 1917, and then a constant Rate of Fire of 450 Rounds from March 1917 till the end of the War. This is historically accurate. Allied Planes had a Rate of Fire of 800 Rounds and above at the End of the War, so if you don't aim very good and fly close to your Opponent, you'll lose a lot of Ammo very quickly.

The German Scouts had a load of Ammo of 1000 Rounds (and yes, the Albatros DVa had 1100), so with a Rate of Fire of 450 Rounds you'll have enough Firepower for some more kills in the Air...

If you are playing without any Mods, the Rate of Fire in OFF for the German Spandau is 550 Rounds (9,17 Rounds x 60 Seconds) , for the Allied Vickers it is 500 (8,33 Rounds x 60 Seconds).

Regards :biggrin:

It also depends on the Rate of Fire you are using. If you use my Rate of Fire-Mod, the German Spandau Machinegun will have a Rate of Fire of 360 Rounds from 1915 to March 1917, and then a constant Rate of Fire of 450 Rounds from March 1917 till the end of the War. This is historically accurate. Allied Planes had a Rate of Fire of 800 Rounds and above at the End of the War, so if you don't aim very good and fly close to your Opponent, you'll lose a lot of Ammo very quickly.

The German Scouts had a load of Ammo of 1000 Rounds (and yes, the Albatros DVa had 1100), so with a Rate of Fire of 450 Rounds you'll have enough Firepower for some more kills in the Air...

If you are playing without any Mods, the Rate of Fire in OFF for the German Spandau is 550 Rounds (9,17 Rounds x 60 Seconds) , for the Allied Vickers it is 500 (8,33 Rounds x 60 Seconds).

Regards :biggrin:

Thanks for the definitive Andy!