That wouldn't be that bad of an idea

True, provided the observer had restricted arcs of movement, and held the Lewis like he would if it WAS mounted - and didn't fire from the hip, with ammo belts draped around his shoulders and a bandana around his head :)

To make this less obvious, perhaps put a 'crossbar' mount between the rear interplane struts, and a 'candlestick' mount on each side of the front cockpit, near or at the left and right traverse limits. They are simple strut-like structures and with them in place, you might have to look very closely, to notice the Lewis was not actually connected to them. Low traverse rates in the data file could simulate switching the Lewis between mounts.

Either way, to adapt the proverb about the comparative value of birds in the hand or in a bush, I would suggest that a 1915-17 BE2 with necessary compromises soon, is better than a 'perfect' one in six months, maybe never. Along with a 1917-18 German general purpose 2-seater and a 1916-17 French one like the Dorand, this is probably the biggest gap left in FE's planeset, at least for the most important period of the air war (from about the appearance of the Eindekker).

Edited by 33LIMA
  • Like 1

OK. My plan is to get two more seaplanes for the Entente. I have a Sopwith Baby, and a Hanriot HD2 close to being finished. Then I'll finish the naval terrain. THEN I'll finish the BE2c. Sorry 33Lima, there's going to be a little more waiting...

• Like 1

A new, watery theatre complete with watery planes trumps even a BE2c :)