ShrikeHawk

Planes disappear then game freezes

I'm playing the all-inclusive Pacific SF2 install from the A-Team. While in a campaign mission I'm seeing targeted aircraft blink out of existence, usually after being shot up very badly. Shortly after that, the game freezes. I've turned all the settings down. I've halved the size of damage textures and converted them to .dds. And this still happens. I have a 4.2GHz quad processor and 8G of RAM (550Ti). Is there anything I can do to avoid turning all the settings down to Low? Mirrors are turned off. Distance Normal. Shadows on Low. Any other suggestions out there?

Check for missing 'DestroyedModels'? Just an idea.

Check for missing 'DestroyedModels'? Just an idea.

Hmm. Planes have a destroyed .lod. Another detail: this happens very often when flying against the A6M2 and almost every time I go against an Ace. Shoot down an ace, game freezes. Talk about a lousy loser. I almost never see this while flying in Single Mission mode and even with settings turned up. What gives?

If your using Wrench's 'sf2_ww2_zeke-rufe_pak' check your aircraft mod folder for the 'A6M3Dest.lod'. The A6M2 _data.ini points to it.

If your using Wrench's 'sf2_ww2_zeke-rufe_pak' check your aircraft mod folder for the 'A6M3Dest.lod'. The A6M2 _data.ini points to it.

I don't think it's wrench's. The data.ini points to a different destroyed lod.

[AircraftData]

DestroyedModel=A6M2/A6M2-Dest.LOD

And this lod is present in the aircraft folder.

Try this, put the 'A6M2-Dest.LOD' and the .bmp in the 'aircraft' folder (looks like it's in the A6M2 folder?) and change:

[AircraftData]
DestroyedModel=A6M2-Dest.LOD
See if that fix's it.

Edited by RAVEN

that's the DAT PTO mod Zeke.

Destroyed models ONLY show when hitting solid ground. Impacting the water leaves an oil slick. On mine, I rewrote all the data inis and moved the destroyed models and their skins to the root of the main /Aircraft folder. That's a proven "it's works" solution

I'd also post over there, and let Charles know.

I'll give this a try, but I note these freezes occur while a heavily damaged aircraft is still in the air. I note that the A6M cockpit uses pretty massive files and I use Stary's generic cockpits a lot which, while awesome, also use quite large files. Any chance the game is just bit overloaded with all these chunky cockpit files? I notice the effects of flaming planes are huge and detailed. It's great visuals, but with a lot of burning planes around and huge amounts of flak, perhaps this is also a heavy load?

I tried different configurations of A6M2-Dest.LOD with it in the Aircraft folder and also tried calling Wrench's a6m3dest in the Aircraft folder. Planes still pop out of existence. What's odd is they don't always do this. Sometimes a wing is gone and the plane is engulfed in flame and the behavior is normal. Any chance there is an "effect" that doesn't happen all the time that fails somehow?

I'm very sorry for resurrecting a very old thread, but I've noticed the exact same problem  - aircraft (usually damaged ones) disappearing from mid-air in the A-Team PTO Campaign.  I've also noticed that the problem only occurs when flying against the A6M2 Zero, but I haven't seen it happen for any other aircraft (including other versions of the Zero).   I've also tried dropping the graphics, but the problem still occurs when I fly a mission against an A6M2 (I wouldn't imagine this was an issue with graphics quality - I've never seen it happen to any other aircraft other than the A6M2).  In campaigns the game crashes, whereas in single missions the aircraft disappear (sometimes also with nearby friendly AI aircraft) and the mission goes on, but the vanished aircraft don't count as destroyed.   Like you, I've noticed that this doesn't happen every time an A6M2 is damaged/shot down, but at some point in a mission against A6M2 Zeroes, something seems to trigger it.   Did you find a solution to this, Shrikehawk?   Thanks.