Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

On SAM's, SAM Avoidance, and making radar operators pay up

Okay, In SF:Pj1 there is only one kind of SAM, thhe SA-2B Guidline. It's 10 meters long and can ruin your day in a hurry.

hq2b-001.jpg<--BAD

How to avoid them. For those of you just entering into the wonderful world of Flight Sims or have just come from 4 decades before out of IL-2 or, god help me, CFS3, Heres some tips.

1. LOOK AROUND! Like this guy--> :roll: , that's Steve. Steve doesn't want to look like this--> :shock: :( :cry: because he was doing this--> 8) (I love smileys)

2.When the missle is coming at you, don't fly towards it, beam it. In other words...put sam off 90 degrees to your wing, then wait till you can visually identify the missle, it'll look like a telephone pole at the end of the smoke trail. When this happens, turn INTO the missle's path, it will try to follow you and end up missing you and losing it's lock, then you can kill the Fansong radar that guided it fansong02.jpg

3. if you are in a F-4E you should the lock tone on your RWR and see it, top right of instrument pannel, and should be able to use Chaff and Flares.

So, the important thing is to pay attention? :roll: Like that? Otherwise, I'll get this :shock: or this :cry: heck, I might even get this :evil:

Yeah, emoticons are great.

Ok, I'll be flying 4E's for a while, RWR will save your life.

Guest Ranger332

situation awarness:

that and speed are what keep your cyber butt alive

OK so let me see this :roll: saves me from looking like this :shock: and like this :angel: OK I like them too.

ok ok, we all had good laugh at my exspense, but this is serious stuff for neewbies who keep getting popped out of the sky

actually cowboy, I was thinking it was a smiley face contest for a second.

Yeah, that is the only tactic you need to know for any missile avoidance. Keep looking around at all times, as this is your first and best defense. Catching sight of an inbound missile early is a big factor. Once it is really close, turn hard into it, and if you're timing is right (which takes some work) you'll have a good chance of avoiding it. Gotta agree there. I'd prefer losing some altitude too to keep up a little more speed while turning.

No harm intended. It was just too good to pass up.

BTW - thanks for the tips. They will prove useful.