Skyviper

Does MSCFS 3 Even Work on Vista?

Well like the title asked does Micrsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 even work on windows vista 64 bit? I remember playing this game way back in the day and I was going through some boxes I came across both disks in their case. I remembered bombing raids and some really good dogfights.

But before I think about installing it I was wondering if anyone of knew if it could work on vista and if so what could be done to ensure that it runs smoothly. I've read forums and forums and have seen that some people have encountred propblems with the game freezing up or crashing when running on vista and because the game is so daggum old Microsoft has zero support for it and moved on to whatever it is they moved onto.

As always any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

I can't speak to Vista 64-bit, but CFS3 works fine in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on both my gamer computers.

Although, as little as I fly CFS 3 these days, I almost always have to go into the cfs3config.exe and reset the settings for the game to start.

I also have the exe start file set to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility.

CFS 3 has always been a bit hinky to keep running.

I have a HP running vista ,I think it worked,(not running right now)I'll get it going and post.

I used to run it on W7 64 bit no problem, however it didn't age well this game... Crappy graphics, old, unoptimised  DX7 (sic!) engine, PAINTED ON gun sights (sic!), ufo flight models....Community mods (ETO etc.) do help a little, but just a little, imho...It's a sinking ship that just barely holding steady on the surface....Once you go IL-2 1946 4.12.2 + HSXF 7.01 or IL2 CLoD + TF 4.0 you just can't go back (in my opinion...).

EDIT: Did I mention crappy, unrealistic stock cockpits? (Bf-109G,  I'm talking bout you, you pos).

Edited by SFP1Ace

CFS3 is only good for running OFF :)

• Like 1