It sounds like a Bloody Dog's Kennel doesnt it?

But I feel about the various sims, such:

I've always been a big fan of OFF (and I will no doubt continue with WOFF)...RoF is cool...very nice looking..DM second to none...but it doesn't have the 'feel' of WW1 to me...it feels like a very pretty, modern Simulator...But, when I create a Pilot..I might as well be creating a sprite. I feel no affinity to him...whereas OFF (and I can only liken it to B17 the Mighty Eighth)...you really feel like the person...it's unique. And it's what brings me back to it time after time.

fair Assumption??

I agree completely WM.  I enjoy ROF as a "Quick Combat" sim, but cannot connect to my virtual pilots in campaigns, (despite Pat Wilson's best efforts).  OFF seems the total experience when it comes to the campaign and I find myself invested in my pilots almost immediately.  I've no doubt that WOFF will be over the top in this regard.

• Like 1

Widow;

I can see your points clearly. In fact I would say that WOFF as a sim with it's immersion is getting closer to being "a reality show" if you know what I mean. Flying with the same pilots through the many missions and observing the losses and claims is a very deep immersive experience that keeps drawing me back. If you were to add something like Lothar's "OFFice" layer to WOFF you would have it all wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

Absolutely chaps!... ROF scores on MP too (but I don't play MP)...so not a score really.

I'm genuinely Gutted when I lose a wingman..and almost suicidal when I lose a Pilot...so much so..I can no longer name any of my pilots as myself, or friends..or family...sad, but true!

Rise of Flight is a great game. Amazing attention to detail in the flight model and the multiplayer is great. I do like multiplayer quite a bit in flight sims; the more hardcore the realism setting, the better. I'm the guy flying IL-2 Cliffs of Dover with ATAG, which may well be the most accurate "you are there" feel to WW2 air combat that's ever been done in a virtual setting. Communicating and coordinating with other pilots in the unfriendly skies is awesome, all the better when there are no indicators for diddly squat and you have to eyeball everything. RoF can be the same way, although communicating over Teamspeak is rather awkward/frowned upon considering pilots back then didn't have the luxury!

So for multiplayer purposes, RoF's great and I'm looking forward to the dev's new IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad game. Hoping it takes Cliffs of Dover's authenticity and improves on it further, although I'm worried it won't have CoD's complex engine management.

Also, DCS is great.

But I digress. If you love multiplayer and appreciate truly detailed flight modeling, RoF's pretty awesome.

That said, I'm from the old breed Red Baron 3D school, and I like nothing better than immersing myself in a dynamic WW1 campaign and watch my pilot's trials and tribulations as he attempts to survive the war. If I had to take just one flight sim with me to a desert island, it would be OFF/WOFF.

As an aside, I think my dream game is a massive multiplayer online game that's EXACTLY like OFF except everyone is a real pilot. Permadeath, 1916-1918 air war, each day recreated meticulously but nevertheless dynamic (Bloody April may or may not occur, or maybe it becomes Bloody March/June/whatever). Every two years the servers would reset themselves and it'd start all over again, but it would keep track of how many times the Axis or Allies win the war. Add my HOTAS and a slightly less bulky version of Oculus Rift and I'd basically never leave the PC again.

Edited by Javito1986
  • Like 2

Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator (today version 15.0) has done a lot to enhance the solo play of RoF (with a notably more aggressive AI) but I still come back to OFF every time when I play solo. I use RoF mainly for multiplayer missions and campaigns with my squadron Jasta 5 where I can fly with a bunch of great guys. I've also learned a lot on dogfight by flying with others which are far better than i am and give me precious advice. Most of the time I drive two seaters because I'm better at reco/bombing and someone has to do it anyway.

"Fighters make the news while bombers write history".