Hauksbee

How come no parachutes?

After a bit of research to refresh my memory, I confirmed that a functional parachute was invented, and used, prior to WWI, usually from hot air balloons at County Fairs. In WWI, balloon observers were issued with chutes. How come then, that in OFF/WOFF and ROF, we've yet to see somebody bailing out?

some people high up in the Allied chain of command were worried about them having a negative effect on the "fighting spirit" of the pilots. I'm not 100% on this but i think towards the end of the war there was a VERY limited use of them by some German pilots.

Also earlier in the war the weight of the chute was too much for the underpowered aircraft of the time.

What WhiteKnight states is correct about the allies no parachutes as they thought that the pilots would bail out at the first sign of trouble and they were only issued to the Balloon crews. As to the Central Powers there was some limited use towards the end. At the start it was due to the lack of power in the aircraft.

link has a list of Aviators who parachuted out... mostly Germans... Though not a complete listing as quoted.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/project/Parachutes/1914_18.htm

Edited by Slartibartfast

Perhaps I was not clear; I meant why don't we see observers bailing out of balloons when we joyously send them down in flames?

oh ok. maybe just a game engine limitation or the developers decided that that function was not worth the effort to implement?

oh ok. maybe just a game engine limitation or the developers decided that that function was not worth the effort to implement?

This was Pol's response: "Because it takes time, every single tiny option or feature can take an incredible amount of time proportionally. One day maybe."

Sorry Hauksbee by the way we moved the post to technical section but lost it completely by mistake on SimHQ.

One day maybe meant "maybe in the future once upon a time..." not it will take one day.

Would be great to have the Bailout option back..I used to enjoy watching them jump! :)

Would be great to have the Bailout option back..I used to enjoy watching them jump! :)

There was a bailout option? I'm assuming this was prior to P3? And was bailing out of planes, or balloons?