Sign in to follow this  
Peugeot205

Problem exporting a 3d File

I have Autodesk 3d max 2009 32 bits running under W7 , I have a 3D that I would like to use at SF2 but when I want to export the 3D file into the LOD file I ge this:

ky3g.jpg

Any Idea?  

Thanks

The issue is with the file as I've been able to export other 3d models to LOD format.

Check what is the polycount of it's biggest(most detailed) mesh. It can not be more than 5k. If it is then you will have to break up that component to smaller pieces. 

Had that before.

Check what is the polycount of it's biggest(most detailed) mesh. It can not be more than 5k. If it is then you will have to break up that component to smaller pieces. 

Had that before.

Ok but could you please tell me how to this step by step.... 

if the hull for example is over 5ooo polys ,you need to break it to smaller parts..That model is high poly,can see that from pics...lod exporter will crash if over limit as posted above

if the hull for example is over 5ooo polys ,you need to break it to smaller parts..That model is high poly,can see that from pics...lod exporter will crash if over limit as posted above

could you please tell me how to this step by step.... ..... ¿

There are 2 ways to go about reducing the poly count of individual meshes. First is to break it up into smaller sections (what russouk and I suggested) and the other is to simplify the given mesh - meaning if the mesh not need to be so highly detailed or it is the same shape in its length (or most of it) then for example in a case of a mast instead of 5 sections 1 section is enough.

post-30564-0-27423000-1392479867.jpg

Best result will come from mixing the 2 ways but keep in mind that you will need to figure out what you want to break into smaller sections and what simplify as you go.

To find the problematic meshes right click on the mesh you want to inspect. it will bring up a list of options, select "object properties".

post-30564-0-91167100-1392480254.jpg

It will bring up a window with details of the given mesh. (size, polycount, texture, etc) what you looking for is the data on vertices. If you find something that is over 5000 than that will be one you will have to handle - keep in mind not necessarily the only one, there could be many.

post-30564-0-32198900-1392480482_thumb.jpg

As you see that is over 25k. In this case of the fuselage, you can go with breaking up into smaller sections (nose, intake, engine, nosle, gearbay, etc) That will reduce the numbers and will keep your details too.

On the mesh edit properties select "polygon" option.

post-30564-0-27763900-1392480804.jpg

Then select a section on the mesh you think would fit for a "splitting point"

post-30564-0-43020700-1392480825.jpg

Roll down in the right editing options till you see the button "detach".

post-30564-0-17388500-1392480902_thumb.jpg

Press it, will bring up a small window asking for the new name of that detached section, name as you see fit.

post-30564-0-86823700-1392480977.jpg

Then select an other section and repeat the above 2 step.

post-30564-0-84251800-1392481072_thumb.jpg

Sometimes check for the new polycount status.

post-30564-0-74029800-1392481213_thumb.jpg

Do this detach steps until you reach a desired state bellow 5k.

The other way is to simplify the mesh - keep in mind that distortions could happen to the shape of the mesh so you will have to check and see how much is "enough". One option is to remove or weld not required vertices. 

Or use the "MultiRes" option.

post-30564-0-06505100-1392481918_thumb.jpg

Press "generate", this will makes other options available.

post-30564-0-22220800-1392482189.jpgpost-30564-0-61889600-1392482190.jpg

Set welding threshold to 0,001m, then set a "percentage" value and press enter. As you see in pic it reduced the count by 80% and there are visible changes on the mesh grid. 

post-30564-0-21746600-1392482615.jpg

You will have to experiment with the values which will give you the best result so you not loose details yo want to keep.

When the above is done, do not forget to reset xform on the meshes created and/or modified, so they will have the right size values.

One side note, there might be other ways to do it. The above is limited by my knowledge and experience level with 3dsmax.

It gonna be a bunch of trial and error, so do not forget to save from time to time and also if you feel necessary than create some "save copy as" in different stages so you don't have to start from step one if something goes astray.

Edit:

I forgot to say, you will have to "link" the new mesh sections to the basic structure as you see fit. Otherwise after exporting things can be misplaced compared to their real place in max.

Edited by logan4
  • Like 2

I've been able to do it!!!!! Yes thank you , I'm playing with it and I'm very happy.....

Can I ask what ship is that??

The one you see is a Kiev class...

But I'm working in one you will love as well as all the spaniards at CA ;)

• Like 2

Ok..... here we have the spanish aircraft carrier Principe de Asturias at SF2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But with no skins.............

s6kg.jpg

m91de.jpg

hqzv.jpg

So my question is................................. How can I create the templates in order to do the skins? Thank you very much

Best Regards

Cangas

Edited by cangas

Glad it worked out.

Meantime Cesar called to my attention a function I've never checked myself before that can be used for determine a quick way which meshes could cause problem. So for the record of future reference.

When the max file is open, in max menu go File->Summary Info 

post-30564-0-67217600-1392493703_thumb.jpg

This will bring up a window with all mesh data listed. Here you can see which meshes you will have to deal with (things above 5k).

post-30564-0-38454000-1392493814_thumb.jpg

-----

Regarding skins. Did the model had UVW maps?

For creating them. See this basic tutorial. http://combatace.com/files/file/5049-mustang-tutorial-10-unwrapping/

If it had, then check the .out file of the model, the used texture files should be listed in there.

But I'm working in one you will love as well as all the spaniards at CA ;)

A Príncipe de Asturias maybe?

It seems it has them:

TW Exporter Dec2010-C, Decals=FALSE

Cube [12 polys, 24 verts] 'Material'

default [12 polys, 24 verts] 'Material'

Cube01 [12 polys, 24 verts] 'Material'

Mesh [3418 polys, 6068 verts] 'Mat.002pda_2'

Mesh.001 [654 polys, 1309 verts] 'Matpda_0.dds'

Mesh.002 [1153 polys, 3048 verts] 'Mat.001pda_1'

Mesh.001 [1266 polys, 2437 verts] 'Mat.003pda_3'

Mesh.004 [68 polys, 160 verts] 'Matpda_0.dds'

Num Nodes: 8

Total:    (6595 polys, 13094 verts)

Mesh Max: (3418 polys, 6068 verts)

CastShadow=FALSE Nodes:

CatchShadow=FALSE Nodes:

5 Materials:

(  1) Material:

<No Texture>

(  2) Mat.002pda_2:

pda_2.dds

(  3) Matpda_0.dds:

pda_0.dds

(  4) Mat.001pda_1:

pda_1.dds

(  5) Mat.003pda_3:

pda_3.dds

4 Textures:

pda_2.dds

pda_0.dds

pda_1.dds

pda_3.dds

Extents

The problem is this one..........

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

They don't fit the 3D model properly.... Any idea?

I can't see the picture..

If that 4 dds is in the ship's folder they should show. One thing you can try is to make a .jpg version of those skin files see if that make any difference.

I can't see the picture..

If that 4 dds is in the ship's folder they should show. One thing you can try is to make a .jpg version of those skin files see if that make any difference.

Opss here it is:

m6wh.jpg

d2z7.jpg