Don't know if this has ever been brought up.

So, one fine day I fired up SF2 before trading out my tank control yoke for my flight stick and lost my joystick mapping. In the process of remapping my 12 buttons, I noticed under the targeting command list Target Object Under Reticle that wasn't mapped to anything. This command, as says on the tin, will visually target any object, friendly, enemy, air, land, sea, or structure over which the gunsight is centered. I've found this command to be very useful when I want my wingmen to destroy structures adjacent to the primary target or when making a carrier landing and needing to know my distance from the boat.

I haven't seen this brought up in topic before, so I thought I'd share.

• Like 2

This sounds interesting, but I don't understand. I have looked at the stock Default.INI in the Controls folder, and I can't see a command about "Target Object under Reticule".

Is this a command which SF2 recognises?

it's located at numlock *, i have it as the first pull on my Saitek X-52 Pro trigger, second pull is guns with ordinance launch under that big shiny launch button on top :)

There's a similar command that is "target closest to center of view" or something like that.  I've used it for a while (I think I assigned it to U).  It helps eliminate the mindless cycling of the E and T keys.

That's the name of it, Malibu. Sorry, I was posting a couple of days after the fact and a sheet-and-a-half windward. Anyway, I have never seen it being discussed as an answer to the complaint that we cannot target friendly ground objects.

When using it as a carrier landing aide, sometimes I pick up one of the aircraft on the flight deck, but it still works well enough.

Ya, it's a great command to use.  It can also really add to immersion.  If you use that command instead of simply pressing E or T, it forces you to get your eyes on the target you want before you unleash mavericks, LGBs, or your wingman on it.

or structure over which the gunsight is centered. I've found this command to be very useful when I want my wingmen to destroy structures adjacent to the primary target.

I really doubt about structures which aren't targetable......but i will give a try

Edited by Murphy'S

The only way I know to make your wingman shoot at adjacent structures is to target vehicles (or any targetable enemy) close to structures. Some of them are sometimes parked close enough to kill everyone in a big boom explosion. You need your wingman to carry large bombs to enhance effectiveness.

Edited by Evildeadmeat