Sign in to follow this  
Chutedangle

Does Anyone Have A Good Joystick Elevation Setup?

I am using the CH flightstick and throttle.

The setup for everything seems to be working great except the elevation.

The nose always wants to drift up and it bucks around a bit which makes

dogfighting a little difficult. I am running IL-2 1946 without mods and with 

the engine management turned off, until I can get the hang of things.

Thanks...

The best thing is to trim your airplane.  You do that by trimming your elevator during the cruising speed (trim your elevator until flying relatively straight at 50-55% throttle when in a fighter). When you find out how many times you have to press elevator up/down key to trim the plane you're flying, then you can do the trimming every time before take off. Of course, the faster you fly, the faster your plane will pitch up, but you'll get used to that, and will always know that your plane will fly straight and true at cruising speed.

Btw, flying with engine management on gives a great dose of reality and excitement, with engine overheating, manual radiator, propeler pitch, compressor/charger, and fuel mixture control. Believe me, you don't wanna miss getting to know and operate these controls. Once you are comfortable with them, you don't wanna fly without them!

With overheating, I can never keep speed with the AI fellows. Is the answer in prop pitch or mixture?

That depends. What altitude are you flying? There are 2 things you have to do as you increase altitude. Lean out and reduce the prop speed (More Bite) which will actually increase the manifold pressure.

With overheating, I can never keep speed with the AI fellows. Is the answer in prop pitch or mixture?

When in level flight or pursuit or in level dogfight always keep your prop pitch at 90, when climbing set it to 100, and when in dive set it to less than 90 (how much less, it depends on the angle of dive, the steeper the dive the lower the pitch, but never under 65-70). Keeping your prop pitch at default setting (100%) causes faster engine overheat. Also open up your radiator fully to cool of the engine when there is no danger around you. I usually fly with 20-30% radiator open in combat.

Fuel mixture works in a way that you need to decrease it the higher you fly. On higher altitudes there is less oxygen so the mixture in the cylinder will have too much gasoline and not enough oxygen, so the pilot needs to lower the amount of gasoline in a mixture for the engine to work properly. This is the rough table for fuel mixture setting:

Sea level - 100%

1000 m -    90%

2200 m -    80%

3500 m -    70%

5000 m -    60%

6500 m -    50%

8500 m -    40%

I personally only use 20% intervals and it works great.

Supercharger woks in a way that you need to set to stage 2 at altitude of roughly 2000-3000 meters, stage 3 (rare planes have it), at 4000-5000 meters.

Remember that not all planes have prop pitch,  fuel, mixture  and supercharger manual controls. In fact German planes have most of controls automated, Allied planes have some controls manual and Soviet birds have the most manual controls. Also, more modern the plane, that is the latter in the war it was designed, more of the stuff is automated.

Here are some links to prop pitch and most of IL-2 '46 planes basic data:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/330964-How-Prop-Pitch-works-in-IL2-and-Why-It-is-Important-Forums

http://www.derrierloisirs.fr/il2/bdd2012/documentation/NDs%20aircraft%20reference%20guide.pdf

Edited by hrc

hrc,

I tried trimming the elevator as you suggested. Worked great!

It even fixed the gunsite which was floating around.

I intend to use the engine management as soon as I get used to

everything else.

Thanks for your help.