yes to both!!! LOL!!!

(actually, the airfield is UNDER the island ... it's an odd thing)

Wrench, I've read Gepard's tutorial time ago and I don't recall that you can obtain a real life size terrain just by setting the Map Scale parameter to 125%. IIRC Gepard's method involved using a bitmap of the heightmap exported with TE, then you have to cut and/or resize the bitmap to your need/likings, finally the bitmap needs to be imported into TE. Anyway, no problem with Long and Lat, actually I've already managed to create the same HFD of DS/IR2003, of course with no flattening or anything else.

The biggest problem it's me; I prefer to work with this HFD, because a 2000 km map would be to difficult for an amateur like me to start with. If I continue to work with the terrain we have I can finish and release something at last. Strangely enough long time ago I was interested in creating a Red Sea map similar to that of the good old (gold) simulator F-22 Total Air War. I started a thread about it but then I ceased development. I like smaller terrains (size of 1000 km or a little bigger), just to keep diversity between each terrain. I hate to see that, for instance, areas represented in other terrains (stock Israel) are present in another map, but of course not identical due to different tilesets and target placement... Yeah, I don't know how to explain my thought better, sorry.

yes to both!!! LOL!!!

(actually, the airfield is UNDER the island ... it's an odd thing)

Then my idea of placing "rocky hills" as objects should be doable, and will spice a bit the terrain I think.

Wrench, I'm attempting to build a texturelist and right now I'm in the process of adding the IR tiles. I'm having problems with 3-way to transition tiles, the '3-way To' option is greyed out, I can't change it from mountain to anything else.

yah, it's a stupid (non) function of the TE. You add the tile select "3-way", and save it. It'll be grayed out. Then, go BACK into the tile, and add the 3rd section. It's like a lot of other functions that TK just never finished. "The Story of Our Lives" :biggrin:

Did you still want the TE? It's already got all the stuff all set up.

Of course I'd like to have the TE, Wrench. Actually I've sent you a PM with such request, I thought you had read it. With your great help I have the feeling that I can finish one of my projects for the first time. Thanks, I appreciate it.

sorry, I've been a little HUA the last few days!

it's on the way!

Thanks! Now I have no reason to cease developing the terrain.

BTW I have a question to ask about the TE. I suppose the River List was one of the unfinished functions, right? If so, do I have to handtile all of the rivers or is there a way to do it with less trouble? I guess the answer is... be ready to blood, sweat and tears :cry:

rivers and roads don't work. You need a REALLY good chart or map, find a matching spot (in this case Umm Qasar and the head the Gulf), and just make the best guess possible. You'll see I've already run the rivers in the IR2003 map

when you see the road tiles, you'll see how I got around that. And every other tile. Just match the painted on lines

Edited by Wrench

I've spent last night building a cities.ini for my terrain and thanks to Wrench now I managed to make the TE work as intended. Next week I'll try to post some screenshots of the tiling.

Wrench, regarding invisible runways which are needed for Hawaii and Midway terrains, there is an example in the SF2 downloads. Check the link below, it is the open ocean .lod type terrain made by Stary, tweaked by JonathanRL. Probably you are already aware of it, but in case you aren't check the types.ini and the iceland_airfield8.ini, there you might find a solution.

http://combatace.com/files/file/14505-open-ocean-carrier-battle-map/

Edited by blaze95

Trust me, I know more tricks than I telling.

look at these 2 screenies ... carefully at the one with the B-17. Unfortuantely, it not large enough, but look at that top edge on Eastern Island. An "invisible" runway that's big enough to operate Forts from...

the 2nd is at night, looked an Eastern & Sand (btw, the runway on Sand was added sometime in the last quarter of 1942, and was NOT there for the Battle of Midway)

Wow, so they do work then! Awesome job as usual Wrench. Midway is one of the great Gepard's terrains and really deserves an update.

Edited by blaze95

Guys, I'm still working at it, but tiling is still an issue, although Wrench's contribution made my life easier. Due to RL and stuff it's the usual 2 weeks.

However, to show you I'm not telling lies, here's the planning map generated by gerwin's TFD Tool. You can see that the Caspian Sea is still land and that rivers are missing. Of course I'm planning to correct these issues, BUT for the first release (which will happen sooner or later) there will be no road textures, sorry.

I guess King Khalid Int'l Airport (Prince Sultan AB too, that I already know) is behind The Wall. Maybe I should expand the terrain a little further to the South to enable them, setting them as OffMapAirbase=TRUE is not a very good idea.

the Caspian is a height field issue from the original version was build and you'll have to hand tile the transitions. Major Bitch

Yeah, I know Wrench. It's an issue because it is a lake and the HFD doesn't recognize rivers or lakes as water areas. Thanks to gerwin's tool I can do a very quick raw tiling, problem is I'll have to handtile all of the transition tiles, patience.