Sign in to follow this  
slick cowboy

change transparency decals in Gimp

I'd like to make a whole bunch of decals a bit more transparent. Some are just too black...

I know how to do it in Gimp, but is there a way to change a certain number of them in one go?

It'd be a time-saver...

Or in Photoshop for that matter...

Photoshop will let you setup a macro to alter a folder full of .tga's. I changed the 100 decals for the F-100 to Red with it. I had to change the names manually. It's done with "Actions". I did it a year or so ago so I would have to rereaserch how it's done, I don't remember exactly how. I used Photoshop 6.0

Edited by RAVEN

what I do when making the decals from their base bmp, is set transparency, or actually opacity, in the RGB layers when I cut/paste the lettering in to center them. For solid colors (like the black Buzznumbers or serials on NM), I use 90%. Depending on the base color on camo aircraft, you can vary that from no change (DGNB) to the 90% on say, RAF camos of ww2; depends on the theatre where the skin will be used and how weathered one wants it.

The higher the number, the more "clear".

The alpha will pick up that change, and "darken" itself to match

think of the alpha as a "holdout matte", only allowing certain sections to show through

this I just how I do it

hey wrench

it's not about setting the opacity

it's about doing it for multiple files at the same time, batch processing

there are some plug-ins out there for gimp, but none contain opacity to batch process several files

AFAIK, once you've set the alpha, you can't change it.

OTH hand, using the "magic wand tool", you can outline the lettering in the alpha, and change the opacity of the paint brush (down to 5% or so??), and "paint" the section to darken or lighten them.

as to batch, never used it. For the above, you'd have to repaint them one at a time.

• Like 1