I `m confused about the "Terminal Guidance" ablity in AA weapon.

According to its mean in literal, it actives when the SARH missile goes into final chase, like R-77.

But, is it really work in game? I did a experiment.

This is my testing SARH missile. Please ignore the accuracy, G, lock on chance or any other CounterCountermeasure, i ve tried as 100%, same result.

post-36141-0-20259700-1420966657.png

By the seeker and ablity porperty, I think it should goes into auto guidance in terminal phase (20km). But, when the missile gets into 20km closed, i turn my nose by more that 90 degrees, or just break the lock in my radar screen, as a result of that, the missile dose not tract target anymore.

So,  I really dout that "Terminal Guidance" ablity works. Am i wrong somewhere ?

post-36141-0-20259700-1420966657.png

AFAIR, the problem is that you are modeling it as a SARH missile, which to the game engine means you need a constant link, what you want to do is model it as an ARH, besides, I'm quite sure the R-77 had been done over and over as part of red birds or in weapons pack, by people actually knowing what the hell they are doing, so please save yourself (and those trying to help you) the frustration and headache and just use that, believe me, they know what they are doing, the reason why it's been modeled as an AHM is not because some of the finest modders in the community are complete idiots and you are a genius, but because it's how you should do it to have it behave as closely to the real thing as possible. ;-)

Edited by Gunrunner

Terminal Guidance is a feature for Air to Ground and Cruise Missiles with Inertial Homing feature. That allows them to follow moving targets when they get close (within seeker range).  Not used by any AA missile, same thing like sea-skimming or pop-up.

When creating a new weapon, use the New Weapon feature in the Weapon Editor. So you can see what options you will have with the given guidance type.

With the exception of cruise missiles, with those you have to create it as Missile type because the editor has bug. After satisfied with the result, you have to change the weapon type value in txt editor.

Note that guidance type also changes the weapon type flag. 

Certain guidance types are available only to specific weapon types. Such as Beam Rider is a feature of SAM. IRM, SAHM and AHM is for AAMs only. The rest are for guided bombs and/or missiles

On AAMs.

Active homing (AHM) guidance type can be set up with  greater launch range than seeker range. It is the only type of AA weapon with this feature. It will self guide within seeker range. Note that this function does not work with long range IRMs, as the IR seeker coding does not allow Semi active mid course guidance.

Contrary, ALL missiles with SAHM and IRM must have the at least the same seeker range as launch range in order to work properly.

Edited by Snailman
  • Like 1

Terminal Guidance is a feature for Air to Ground and Cruise Missiles with Inertial Homing feature. That allows them to follow moving targets when they get close (within seeker range).  Not used by any AA missile, same thing like sea-skimming or pop-up.

When creating a new weapon, use the .....

Oh, That helps me a looooot !  Thanks very much!! !

Well.... i dont have got Redbirds, and i also never dout the modders `s works. By learning from these files i  just kown it better.