Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

How to dogfight in the Tomcat?

I use the Tomcat usually in "real" combat, so no 1vs1. I need to practice more to get properly on the corner speed and don't get lower than that cause the A is a slow reacter to thottle inputs. Do you guys recomend to have dead zones on the stick?

I'm not planning to use the Phoenix as a dogfighting missile, but the Sparrow works pretty well, specially once the M version arrives, now I need to learn how to select VSL high.

BTW is very rewarding to fight properly in the Tomcat, really enjoyable!

Glad to hear you're getting results!  If you're running the v1.21 F-14A, the throttle response was changed based on recorded evidence of the aircraft taking ~8 seconds to go from idle to Zone 1.  It takes (in game) 12 seconds to go from idle to Zone 5 based on that.  The F-110 takes half the time to get to max AB, and in general, the throttle is much more responsive (idle to max AB in 6 seconds).  Generally, I don't bring the F-14A much below military power, so when I need the thrust, I can more quickly get into afterburner.

I have been reading about the Tomcat recently and found the response times for the A were realistic and is a nice touch on the sim, I think it will be nice to have new engines once I try the B and D.

BTW have been searching a good book about the Tomcat, a book that talk about development, versions and weaponry without costing 200$. Any idea?

TOMCAT! The Grumman F-14 Story by Paul T. Gillcrist is a good one.  Hardcover, currently priced at $39.95 on Amazon.  Also, Grumman F-14 by James Perry Stevenson, currently around $6 on Amazon.

Searching for them, thanks for the recomendation.

BTW to use the Phoenix against more than one target is, enter TWS mode, select the target and lock, then move to the next, right? Can't get the damn priority number so I can only launch one Phoenix.

Strange that your numbers aren't showing up; yes, you're supposed to go to TWS, then hit "lock radar target" to designate the first target, and a little "1" should appear next to it.  Then, select next radar target, hit "lock radar target" again, and this will have a "2".  Go up to how many Phoenix you have, or how many targets you want to shoot at, then start firing.  Every time, the number will drop by 1 as a missile is fired until all designated targets are fired upon.  If you're in RWS, you can still lock something and shoot at it with a Phoenix, you just can't do simultaneous multi-target engagements.