How do they work? Say, for instance, I wanted to make Kuwait neutral on the Desert Storm terrain. Can I set it neutral in the terrain's data files without going through every individual target in Kuwait? Also, do said targets show up still and not engage targets or do they disappear? Or does all of that really only work in campaigns? Trying to make a 1992-2003 terrain for OSW and Desert Fox like missions.

no, each individual target area must have it's alignment changed. The regions WILL be populated, but not targetable. Nor will any AD units become active, against Blue or Red forces.

the data ini has absolutely NO control over that; it just sets the physical reality (tiles and height field)

Well, if Kuwait has a number, you can add the following in the Campaign Data file:

[NeutralLocation]
Neutral001=2

2 is in this case the number that you can find in the targets list near all Kuwaiti targets. It may not be 2 but something else.

most likely 1 or 3 (nation 2 must always be enemy)

edit: should have said 3 or 4

Kuwait is in 2. Guess I have to do it the hard way. Suppose that's alright though; good experience and I can remove all the ODS targets.

indeed, you'll have to make all targets in Iraq Location - 2. 

you must always have a 1, friendly

you must always have a 2, enemy

any other locations can be whatever you desire.

Don't forget the edit the terrain's nations ini as well to match