Sign in to follow this  
Nesher

USS Midway vs. USS Intrepid, which one is better to visit?

I never go on the Midway (even if I hope... one day), but the Intrepid was a nice experience, for the good points there was the visit of the SSG USS Growler, going through the Regulus (then SEAL) hangar, the A-12 Oxcart is a rare piece, F-14D Super Tomcat prototype, one magnificient F3H Demon (the USMC Phantom close to it give you a nice impression of how imposing the Demon was), there is also an old and interesting USCG HH-52 Seaguard, the OV-101 Enterprise is a great add, even if there is (too many?) people which prevents you to taking good shots... many rooms and decks can be visited.

For the bad points. well... like all others museum, we would like there's "special addicted" tickets, with the ability to take pictures of airplanes from everywhere just like a X-serie cameraman and visit all sections of the ship, as being lovers of these wonders we would not break anything.

• Like 1

I have never been on Intrepid but have been on Hornet, while she doesn't have the

airplane collection the Intrepid has, they are building it up more and more each year, the ship tour is great.

Midway is a GEM the aircraft collection is fabulous the boat tour Un beatable and the great SoCal weather, plus views of live carriers across the bay @ North Island

tobe honest you can't go wrong with either of them I'm sure..... for an extra added bonus not to far travel time, there are battleships to see also

www.uss-hornet.org

Edited by colmack
  • Like 1

Keep in mind which coast are you visiting? If you have the money to go to both coasts, then hit both as 50 bucks will be change compared to the cost of transcontinental let alone transatlantic travel.

And no, i'm afraid no discount for non US vets

I don't think it's $50 either unless that is for your whole party.. edit ya looks there are $50 tickets for the Intrepid (experience)

Edited by colmack

I'll be in NYC\San Diego\LA\Las Vegas.. not San Francisco since I've been there on my first visit (in 09)

about the price, we are 3 so multiply each ticket by 3.. and my brothers won't go to 2 carriers.. (I won't mind.. :)

Edited by Nesher

I've never been to the Intrepid, but I visit the Midway every time I'm in San Diego.  I'm a "member of the crew" with discounts, newsletters, etc. 

an obvious bias.....

• Like 1

ain't no BOATS in Vegas are you driving from SD to LV, if so think about going to the USS Iowa in Long beech...

Edited by colmack