Sign in to follow this  
Nyghtfall

Sources/Information for LowVis A-4M Skyhawks (1980s) needed

Hey there,

as seen in the Screenshots-Thread I'm currently working on a USMC A-4M skyhawk II pack, based on dtmdragons unreleased Skyhawk II pack.
Since finding all needed information about details like colors for markings, patches and so on is often timeconsuming and difficult, maybe some of you can help me out here with information.
I started with low-vis skins for several squadrons and at the moment there are:
- VMA-131 Diamondbacks (1990)
- VMA-142 Flying Gators (1990)
- VMA-211 Wake Island Avengers (1988)
- VMA-214 Black Sheep (1986)
- VMA-214 Black Sheep (1988)
- VMA-311 Tomcats (1987)
- VMA-223 Bulldogs (ca. 1982-84)

Progress goes well, but it seems to be rather difficult to find sources/pictures for the "low-vis" years in general. The above are more or less ok, with many missing BuNos filled in with ones from different years.
I would like to add some more skins, so if any of you has information about the following, please contact me.

- How many planes had all these squadrons? - Atm I have 21 for each, except 15 for VMA-131 - I simply didn't find more fitting BuNos.

- VMA-331 Bumblebees - I only found 1 picture from 1982 which shows a low-vis scooter, all others (even from 1982, if correct) show HighVis colors. Since VMA-331 used A-4Ms until 1983, were all planes repainted before the end of usage or just some?

- VMA-223 Bulldogs had some sort of patch just aft of the Intake-Warning in white or light gray. Has anyone a picture of it?

My mainsources for information are A4skyhawk.org and goNavy.jp-Websites, Naval Fighters 55 book by Steve Ginter and the Scooter!-Book, aswell as Google in general.

Thanks!

P.S. I also take all information available for HighVis camos aswell!

• Like 1

I remember seeing this site for modelers, and it carried decals & paint schemes for a lot of planes. I saw VMA-331 included in Low-Vis, but I don't know how much help it will be. But I'll keep looking.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/resource1.shtml

http://a4skyhawk.org/content/vma-331

http://a4skyhawk.org/content/vma-223

Thanks for your help. The first link is a very nice source for information in general!

I found another picture of VMA-331 with the first version of low-vis camo (with big insignia). Just 1 plane so far, but I think, I'll include it.

VMA-331 was "High Viz" until 1979. They went TPS 1980 on...... Except for "Triple Nuts". The Commanding General's Aircraft. It retained "High Viz" until Retirment.

CG2.jpg

BEE2_zpsc8248f7b.jpg

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

• Like 1

good source is also on gonavy.jp. Lot of info regarding deployments, and nice photo galleries.