Sign in to follow this  
maverickvf142

Certain Custom Sounds Not Working

I recently began a project of creating new gear, air brake, and flap sounds that would correspond better to the deploy times. However, I have ran into a problem where it seems like these sounds cannot be played properly without it either not working completely or being really drawn out. At first, I thought it was the bit rate but I looked at some of the sound files I had from various downloads and they all seemed to vary in rate. I am a bit clueless as to why some of the custom sounds I have created work while others don't even though I used the same software and only did minor tweaks (extend or shorten and change the sound pitch). I remember reading a post on here before saying that the bit rate didn't matter as long as the audio was in mono so I went back and checked to see if they were all mono which they were. Someone mentioned frequency but did not expand on that. 

Does anyone have any experience with modifying sound files and getting them to work on SF2? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! 

Maverickvf142

I have had that problem from time to time, when playing around with new sounds.

The stock sounds from the sim are usually (always?) 11.025 kHz, 16 bit mono, and I have found that new sounds usually work if you save them as that.

• Like 1

The only working sound format as far as I know is mono .wav

Thanks guys! Making sure that the sounds were at 11.025 kHz and mono seemed to have done the trick. Another thing I did differently was that instead of changing the tempo to shorten the time, I switched to changing speed and that worked for me. Not sure if it has anything to do with making the file work or not though. Haven't converted to 16 bit yet since some of the sound files I have are 32 though I will see if there is any difference between 32 and 16 bit  and convert them to 16 bit just to be on the safe side if I don't notice a difference. I'll try to report back results for future members who run into this problem. 

Yep, ensuring that everything was set to Mono, 16 bit, and 11.025 kHz did the trick! 

Problem solved.