UK_Widowmaker

Now THAT'S a Veteran :)

Adrian Carton de Wiart was a remarkable individual, having served in three wars (the Boer War and the First and Second World Wars), winning the Victoria Cross, and sustaining more than seven wounds through his military career, including the loss of an eye and a hand - removing his own fingers when a surgeon refused to amputate them. Despite seeing action and being wounded during the Battle of the Somme, the Battle of Passchendaele, Cambrai, and Arras, he commented at the end that "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war..."
Born in Belgium to an aristocratic family, his stepmother sent him to be educated in England, but around 1899 he left his college to join the British Army, starting his long career. Even at the age of 59 when the Second World War started, he undertook missions and military commands from Poland and Norway to China. He was also captured by the Italians after surviving a plane crash in the Mediterranean. Despite his rather noticeable injuries and not speaking Italian, he managed to escape and evade capture for eight days! He eventually retired to Ireland, and died at the age of 83 in 1963.

post-22245-0-50509000-1461088421.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, amazing story, there was a nice article about him at the BBC News much time ago, that's when I first heard of him. Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

What a great post!!  Well done and thanks

That's a new one for me Widow! Tnx

It's good to know that people like this are still around.