Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

FE1/2 Strange Tree Effect

Recently been making progress in tweaking FE2 to run as well as my good old FE1 installation, but in the course of the tests I've encountered a strange tree effect, please see screenshots. The file involved is TER_NEWTREES1.tga, which I think is part of Stary's FE great seasonal tiles (could be wrong, it's been a long time).

post-15237-0-49079100-1461448285_thumb.jpg

post-15237-0-43025900-1461448296_thumb.jpg

One clue is that this effect seems to be focused on airfield perimeters. Also, it affects both FE1 & FE2.

Any clues anyone please, how can I eliminate these flying trees and telegraph poles? Be even better to put them in their proper places..  :)

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike Dora

This looks like the same problem you had with the square trees - the terrain data file for those tiles is pointing to the wrong AlphaObjectTexture.

I have never encountered this before in my FE 1 game but oddly enough I have a game called Panzer Elite Action and sometimes the trees are hanging in the air in the same way, weird. !!!

Thanks Stephen

That gave me the clue. Further testing showed that the problem only applied to the Flanders terrain, and on further digging I found that it was due to a very old mistake when applying Stary's FE stock terrains upgrade to the Flanders terrain.

In the Flanders_data file I had replaced all appearances of AlphaObjectTexture=terobject_trees1.TGA with AlphaObjectTexture=ter_newtrees1.tga. In fact for a range of specific terrain tiles, including the FrAirfield1.BMP tile, the setting should remain as terobject_trees1.TGA. Correcting this error gives me the Flanders airfield appearance shown below:

post-15237-0-60574500-1461508661_thumb.jpg

Like I said, this seems to have been an old mistake, only showing up now after I corrected the square trees thing!

Thanks again

Mike

• Like 3