Hauksbee

A Pretty Bit of Coding...

Watching some "IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad" clips the other night, I found this one of two Sturmoviks doing right-down-on-the-deck attacks. Beautiful photography; good pacing. But best of all, there's a moment at around 7:20 where the two planes are flying up a very shallow river valley. They bank gently left following the bend of the river. The trailing IL-2's port wingtip just barely touches the surface and a spray of water flies up. Just a kiss, and the plane flies on, but someone had tweaked the physics engine to allow that delightful minuscule moment to happen.

• Like 1

That was impressive. In fact, the entire scene was well done. I especially like the fact that it was staged just at sunrise, and there was still fog hanging around the countryside. And it gave the impression of flying over a very large area. This was just a great clip, and caused me to go watch some others.

I especially like the fact that it was staged just at sunrise, and there was still fog hanging around the countryside. And it gave the impression of flying over a very large area.

I agree. It was, on the whole, a brilliant bit of film editing. Two small planes against the breadth of the Russian steppe. Cockpit shots / distance shots. Just the right time of day.

Here's another that I found in the same viewing session:

Edited by Hauksbee

I was already impressed with what I was seeing. I was watching the tri-motor lumber across the horizon and expecting it to get jumped, but when I saw the t-34's in the trees, I figured it would get good. I was not disappointed. I LOVED the ambush!! The level of detail in this game is outstanding; watching shrapnel fly off the vehicles in big chunks from a cannon hit was truly awesome to behold. And then it got better. I was open-mouthed at the Stuka cannon run. That was just a thing of beauty.

Once again, I'm struck by the sense of...........vastness you feel when watching the video.

You have gotten me hooked....

You have gotten me hooked....

Glad to hear it!

Absolutely fab vids...I don't own this game (got Cliffs of Dover) but how on Earth do they get the views?...I've seen some good COD vids too..but no idea how they get these views. Also...are there usable tanks too?..or is that a mod?

Absolutely fab vids...I don't own this game (got Cliffs of Dover) but how on Earth do they get the views?...I've seen some good COD vids too..but no idea how they get these views. Also...are there usable tanks too?..or is that a mod?

Beautiful views, indeed. I played a bit with movie-making in ROF, but not much came of it. Mainly because my flying left much to be desired (and TrackIR never worked well for me) and also because I got my arse handed to me most of the time. But I must say that the in-flight recorder worked very well and there were a lot of views possible with it. COD and BOS are the same company, so I guess the same (if not better) recorder. I also suspect that he may have flown the same mission more than once. In some of the more elaborate BoB scenes done in COD, with multi-players, I suspect the pilots swap footage. That's the only way to get camera POV inside Hurricanes, Spits and He-111's. As for playable tanks...I don't know, but in the Stuka vid there was an interior view looking outside with a sight picture. So...maybe.

About that pretty bit of coding: there's another vid (by the same guy) of a Me-109, solo mission, taking down three Sturmoviks. At the very end, he skims over a copse of trees, shears off some branches, pancakes into the tall grass, skids a hundred yards, or so, then gets airborne again (mangled prop) glides over another patch of trees and finally bellys in. Pilot is seen to be still alive at the end. But that spray of tree branches exploding off the tree tops was pretty fine.

Here's what I expect will be the last Fokkers of July.                                                                       

TWO FOKKERS.jpg

Here's the "Hit The Treetops" video. (the event's around 12:34) And I guess I was wrong about tree branches. It's bits of airplane.

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1