Hi everyone,  I would like to know how to make some ship Name Decals to put on the stern of the ships.

I have got task force set up for a campaign in SF2V and my third party ships need some Decals on the stern and Numbers on the Hull.  Can any one help?

I have got Adobe elements 9.  I would like to make them so you can see the name Like the Ark Royal name Decals.

You need to make the name decals (by whatever means you know, or software you have) first... then bind them to the number the ship class uses. For example the CVN classes...   in Ship_Names.ini the individual ship names are being stored. There they have the numbers attached, so if the name calls a ship the given number will be assigned, and all the decals attached to that number.

NImitz-class carrier  +  number 68 = will be displayed as USS Nimitz. You need to create a file name like NimitzName68.tga  so when decals.ini calls for decal NimitzName, it will use the 068 file. Now it is your task to put the correct name for the correct file number.

Example

KIEV_82_NAMES.INI

[ship001]
Name=Kiev
Nation=Soviet
Number=075
StartDate=12/28/1975
EndDate=6/30/1993

SovietGrey/decals.ini (skin folder)

[Decal003]
MeshName=HULL
DecalLevel=2
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=SovietNavy/SovietShip/Kiev_name
Position=98.0,8.0
Scale=20
DecalMaxLOD=3

This will call for Kiev  board No. 075    Kiev_name075.tga

Finally, you have to create the decals.ini entry (Like above),  but if you want an aft name placement, you need to use the DecalFacing=REAR (I guess).   Proper sizing and positioning will be your final task - trial by error

EDIT:  Be careful, as far as I know, a single mesh object can handle 4 pairs of decals max.

post-81039-0-66290200-1471424495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snailman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Great information.   I now need to make the name Decal it self like the one on the Hull of your ship.

Which looks great by the way.   I got a DD and would like the ship name displayed at the rear of the Boat.  I am having Difficulty's making a Decal.

I am using Adobe Photoshop 9.  Is there a trick to this?   I have looked around on forums and can not come up with anything on how to create one.

Richo, take a look at the thread linked below in the SF2 Knowledge Base. It instructs how to make decals in a slightly older version of GIMP, which is the software I use, but it may help you.  

http://combatace.com/topic/76701-making-decals-using-gimp/

Also which ships do you need the decals for? I might have already made some for it for my own use.

Thanks for the help I will check this out now.  I hope I can get some done:)

Yes that is a good one.  I did some Decals using your link a while back and still use it.

I guess I will keep trying.  I see if I can up load one so everyone can see what I am talking about.

Edited by Richo