Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

L'Chateau at Boistrancourt...

I finally dove into Boistrancourt and built the Chateau despite the gaps in my knowledge, such as: how to match the scale in the modeling window to the reality of the WOFF world. But that can be adjusted later. Also: what color was the chateau? And other such. But all that can be fine tuned after I meet RAF_Lou and Robert Wiggins in Dayton.

CHATEAU_4 VIEW.JPG

CHATEAU_01.JPG

CHATEAU_02.JPG

CHATEAU_03.JPG

Edited by Hauksbee
  • Like 1

how to match the scale in the modeling window to the reality of the WOFF world.

Gmax has a flexible scaling system that seems overly complex when you first start making 3D models. 

1) At the top, click CUSTOMIZE, then UNITS SETUP.  Click METRIC, then OK.

2) Again click CUSTOMIZE, then PREFERENCES.  The System Unit Scale must be set to 1 unit = 1 meter.  Also, activate/check Automatic Unit Conversion.

Note default setting is four screens, each with an identifier in the upper left corner: LEFT, TOP, PERSPECTIVE, etc.  Right click the identifier - a number of options are displayed.  Clicking and unclicking SHOW GRID will display a grid on the screen that will reflect the scale information selected in 1) and 2).  If you selected 1 unit = 1 meter, then each square in the grid is 1 meter x 1 meter.

Shot below is a Max model showing 1 meter grid in each screen.

post-39531-0-30958700-1471595878_thumb.jpg

Jaysus! Could it really be that simple? Thanks, Geezer. Nice church, by the way. Was it done for WOFF?

Can you recommend a similarly simple tutorial for texturing?

Skinning a 3D model is a two part process.  First, the exterior surfaces of the model must be UVW mapped - converted into flat patterns.  Then, using the flat patterns as templates, the artwork is developed so it will fit on the model's surfaces.

I work in Max and have been given instructions on how to convert Max files to Gmax, but have not tried it yet.  I found what look like pretty good tutorials for skinning in Gmax at Sim Outhouse:  http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?89779-UVW-Mapping-in-Gmax-tutorial-series

The church is part of some 1930s ground objects developed for SF/FE that I hope to adapt to WOFF.......someday.

post-39531-0-07967800-1471646594_thumb.jpg

Beautiful piece of work, Geezer. Really nice modeling and a perfect pallet of texture colors. They look like they all belong together in the same world.

Robert Wiggins also mentioned that he knows the 3DStudioMax>G-Max method. He models in SketchUp. then converts to another program/file format, then to 3DStudioMax, then to G-Max.

Hey, Hauksbee, that is a great job you have done with the 3D model of the Chateau!

As for the colouring: we can of course only guess, what it might have looked like,

so I can only try to help with my "Mid-European Eye & Knowledge". :blind:

I have seen many chateaus in Germany and France, and they often use similar colours.

The paintjobs on such buildings are rather reserved and less colourful and dynamic than for example Italian ones.

So I suggest here what I have seen in France, as i remember it.

Walls in "light ivory", roof covered with slate.

The glass house could be made in a grey-blue colour - the dynamics would probably be done by ANKOR's shaders.

Chateau B.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Olham. I like those colors much better. I'll get them changed over by tonight. I assumed the true colors would be light, but, for some reason, thought it would be yellowish. (perhaps because the photos was sepia.)

Well, it might have been yellowish, Hauksbee - mine is only a guess also, based on what I've seen in the 70s and 80s in France.

They might have been painted differently back in 1914...

Here is a variety of Chateaus today...

https://www.google.de/search?q=chateau+france&biw=1760&bih=847&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjczefuuNTOAhXH3iwKHduqBAkQsAQI0gE

Edited by Olham

Thanks for the reference photos, guys. Geezer's will go in my "Buildings Textures" file, and Olham's in the "Chateau's" file. The red arrows point to the yellow(ish) colors I was seeing in my mind's eye. Still, I think I'll go with Olham's 'Ivory and Slate' (if I can get those colors from G-Max.

CHATEAU COLORS.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

These are also okay, Hauksbee - if you just remember to make them brighter than in the close-up;

cause all more distant objects appear brighter and less dynamic than close on.

These are also okay, Hauksbee - if you just remember to make them brighter than in the close-up;

cause all more distant objects appear brighter and less dynamic than close on.

Um, are you referring to an effect caused by the CFS3 game engine?  I hope so, because in the real world it is exactly the opposite - distant colors are usually lighter and duller than close up colors. 

https://www.britannica.com/art/aerial-perspective

http://combatace.com/topic/87534-art101-for-modders-theory/

We mean the same thing, Geezer. Thx for the links!